Horowitz ad: arguing a legitimate claim

I would like to commend The Williams Record on its decision to neither apologize for publishing the Horowitz advertisement nor give away the money made from the ad. While those who disagreed with the opinions espoused in that ad decried it as racist, a clear reading will reveal that the ad is not, in fact, racist, but rather exposes some rather uncomfortable truths about the Arab-Israeli conflict.

None of the facts that Horowitz provides are incorrect. The PLO was founded in 1964 to “push the Jews into the sea,” and Jordan does comprise 90 percent of Mandatory Palestine.

The statement that generated the largest amount of outrage was the last line, Horowitz’s opinion that “the root cause of the Middle East conflict is Arab and Islamic Jew hatred. It is the Nazi virus revived.” Virtually all responses condemning the advertisement stated that he was comparing Arabs and Muslims to Nazis – yet he does no such thing.

Horowitz compares the Jew hatred, disseminated by governments in the Arab and Muslim world to the Nazi virus reincarnated. Nowhere does he say that Arabs and Muslims are akin to Nazis. But when the imam of the Grand Mosque in Sana’a asks, during a sermon, “O God, deal with the Jews. . .and freeze the blood in their veins,” when the blood libel of Jews using Gentile blood in their food is revived by the mainstream Saudi Arabian press, and when Jews are compared to “the sons of pigs and monkeys,” it is evident that the state-sponsored Judenhass coming out of the Middle East is not very different from that of Third Reich Germany.

Furthermore, like a virus, these infectious ideas have the power to spread throughout society; herein lies their real danger. Already, the Protocols of the Elders of Zion have resurfaced not only in an Egyptian television show, but also in an Arabic-language newspaper published in New Jersey. Meanwhile, at Berkeley, Jews are told to “go back to Russia” and physically attacked at a “pro-Palestinian” demonstration turned anti-Jewish riot. (Disappointingly, none of the major American Muslim or Arab groups condemned these hateful events.)

Thus, Horowitz describes an all-too-real phenomenon emanating for a long time from Middle Eastern governments and state-sponsored mosques and now infecting other societies. Comparing his statement as equating all Arabs and Muslims to Nazis is purposely twisting his words to make them be offensive.

Once again, I want to thank The Williams Record for printing an opinion which is so unpopular on many college campuses, and for standing by their decision to do so.

Max Kaganov ’05