ACE cow sculpture stolen from field at Homecoming

After the fourth quarter of Saturday’s football game, three unidentified students stole a purple and gold cow sculpture belonging to All Campus Entertainment (ACE).

The students, whose faces were painted with Wesleyan colors, threw the 12-by-8 foot statue into a waiting van and roared off.

While the cow is not an official Williams mascot, its presence has served as a source of school pride, said Drew Newman, general counsel of ACE. The statue was commissioned last year to serve as the centerpiece of, “The Cow Party,” a Saturday night homecoming extravaganza at Dodd. Since then, the cow has been present at the Spring Fling Masquerade Ball last year and this year’s Purple Key Fair. Jamie Gardner ’03 designed and constructed the mascot.

Newman said the cow was an instant hit at “The Cow Party,” as students posed with it for numerous pictures.

The chicken wire and paper-mache-constructed cow is no stranger to theft. After its inaugural party, the cow was taken out of the Dodd foyer by four Williams students. The students were caught by Security as they approached the Log with the mascot.

Since the first incident, the cow has had its own storage space on campus. Newman and Ching Ho ’03 decided to take the mascot down to the homecoming tailgate this year to help instill school pride.

The cow spent most of the game on the track at Weston in front of the home stands. When Ho and Newman went with Gardner to check on it at the end of the game, they noticed its tail had been ripped off. As they were talking, three men with faces painted in Wesleyan colors approached Newman, Ho and Gardner, ostensibly to congratulate the three Ephs on football’s win.

Instead, the men pushed Ho, Newman and Gardner to the ground and ran off with the cow. The cow was loaded into a waiting van and driven off before Newman could return with a security officer.

Dave Boyer, assistant director of security, is confident that the cow will be recovered. He has placed calls to Wesleyan’s director of security to try and track down the mascot. “It’s going to be very hard to hide,” Boyer said. “I’m optimistic that it will be returned.”