’Caught With Your Frosh Down’: two thumbs up

It’s one of the most exclusive groups on campus – the Frosh Revue. Every year, 10 first-years are chosen from the scores of students who apply and are selected to disappear from campus life in preparation for the one-hour Parents’ Weekend production. This year, the selection committee made up of alumni from last year’s show had one question for the would-be Frosh Revuers: “Do you think you’re funny?”

The 10 frosh selected can be assured that the answer to that question is undoubtedly “yes.” This year’s production, entitled “Caught With Your Frosh Down” and starring Jon Russell ’06, Estalyn Marquis ’06, John Silvestro ’06, Jimbo Prevas ’06, Matthew Slovitt ’06, Gillian Weeks ’06, Phil Kim ’06, Cece Lederer ’06, Madeline Elish ’06 and Sasha Gsovski ’06, was an unqualified success.

Each of the 14 skits looked at a different angle of first-year life, including WOOLF, screw dances and sketchiness. The skit that drew the most laughter – and was the most creative, taking something inherently funny and introducing a new spin on it – was the “screw dance skit.” In addition to purchasing at least two Nalgenes, every Williams student must fulfill a list of requirements, the foremost of which is attendance at least one screw dance – and if your facebook picture is really good, perhaps a dozen.

The pure absurdity yet underlying truth of this skit – about a rich and snobbish girl who goes on a screw date with a nerdy, clumsy guy – offered numerous twists and turns. The verbalized thought bubbles provided by members of the cast allowed the audience to see into the minds of the characters and laugh at the dynamic humor between the two mismatched characters.

Standing out from the other characters in this skit was the chauffer (Prevas) who started out with an oration about how he decided to bring “Greek life” to Williams College because he was Greek himself. The scene ended with a bang as he dropped off the date and said to the girl “I will come down to you as Zeus did in the form of a swan.”

The “homesickness skit” also was extremely funny, portraying a maladjusted girl (Lederer) who missed her parents not because of an excess of filial love, but because she needed to hear the familiar berating of her mother.

The bizarre nature of the “storage skit” was also quite humorous, touching first on how the only place that actually uses extra long sheets are college dorms, and secondly on something which will become significantly more humorous when it comes time for us to actually remove our belongings from storage. Take a minute right now, and see if you can remember all of the things you put in storage – Frosh Revue promises that the majority of people have little recollection of what exactly is there, making for an interesting moving-out experience in May.

The “parties skit” focused solely on the idea of “sketchiness,” a topic which seemed to draw excessive devotion, though it is still an impressive feat that every college student has subconsciously added the word “sketchy” to their vocabulary. Nonetheless, the truly original material such as the “Like a Freshman” song and the “Purple Bubble” easily won over the audience. The “Purple Bubble skit” hit on something all too familiar to us: the cloying Verizon commercial of a man trekking across various terrains asking “can you hear me now?”

The Frosh Revue proved a delightful addition to Parents’ Weekend. The live band, which included Eric Schoenfeld ’03, Dave Thal ’03, Matt Stankiewicz ’04, Dan Krass ’05, Elliot Baer ’04, Reid Phillips ’05 and Chuck Jakobsche ’05, gave the show an essential musical dimension.

Additionally, the fact that show was cast, written, directed and choreographed entirely by students – and then performed half a dozen times with consistently high energy – definitely deserves tremendous accolades. The commitment and talent of the cast was also notable.

Although I can no longer suggest for you to go out and see the performance, I can recommend that you remember next year to make the time to see the show. As students, we experience freshmen year only once, and this year’s production offered a memorable view that the audience can remember for years to come.