Crew teams compete in the Head of the Charles

Men’s and women’s crew competed at the Head of the Charles Regatta over the weekend along with teams from all across the globe. The Regatta is the largest in the world with over 7,000 rowers braving the winding and treacherous three-mile course.

The women’s team sent three boats to the event, a champ four, a club four and a club eight. The club four (Emily Joiner ’05, Elizabeth Remus ’04, Elizabeth VanHeuvelen ’05, stroke Abigail Wattley ’05 and cox: Emily Perry ’05) did extremely well, rowing their way to a fourth place finish with a time of 19:32.508 just 15 seconds off the lead.

The champ four (Emma Herries ’03, Meaghan Rathvon ’06, Elizabeth Mygatt ’03, stroke: Anne Lewis ’04 and cox: Rachael Outman ’05) also proudly represented the purple and gold in the face of extremely stiff competition, and finished 21st with a time of 20:10.935.

The club eight (Phoebe Fischer-Groban ’06, Kacey Houston ’05, Amy Katzen ’05, Macy Radloff ’06, Diane Reis ’03, Nisha David ’05, Elizabeth Killien ’06, stroke: Leisa Rothlisberger ’05 and cox: Jenny Lott ’05) finished with a time of 19:44.507 in a disappointing 49th spot just behind Wesleyan but still far ahead of those perpetual bottom-feeders from Amherst. The boat accrued several penalties over the course of the race, one for blocking and one for a missed buoy.

On the men’s side, two boats were entered, a club four and a collegiate eight. In the first race of the day, the collegiate eight (Bryce Inman ’05, Paul Skudder ’05, Karl Johanson ’05, Pat Spellane ’06, Ian Bone ’06, Steve Scroggins ’04, Mark Rothlisberger’ 03, stroke: Mark Foster ’05 and cox: Hayley Horowitz ’04) got off to a disappointing start, coming in 24th with a time of 16:23.525.

“We struggled in the eight,” Scroggins said. “But we now know better what we have to work on, and hopefully the great experience of the Head of the Charles will help us through the winter and into the spring.”

The four (Chris Flynn ’04, Luke Hyde ’03, Will Cary ’05, stroke: Matt Webster ’04 and cox: Jay Halleck ’05) placed well, coming in ninth place with a time of 17:19.650 well ahead of Little Three rival Wesleyan among others.

“The four was considerably more experienced, and it was great to see them do well, because I think that their result says a lot about this crew’s potential,” Scroggins said.