Field hockey downs Maine

Overnight trips to Maine can sometimes be treacherous for teams. Not so for field hockey.

Tara Boyd ’05 scored a game-winning goal in overtime to beat Bates 2-1 on Saturday, and the next day the Ephs pounded Colby 3-0 to complete their sweep of Maine.

“We did everything that we needed to do on this trip,” Head Coach Alix Rorke said. “I am extremely proud of their play against these two teams. This was a huge weekend for us.”

The Ephs (7-1; 4-1 in the NESCAC) stretched their winning streak to five games. After a sloppy win last week over Trinity, the level of play picked up considerably against Bates and Colby and in a shutout of Union on Thursday.

“Everyone was moving the ball well, and our corners were outstanding,” Rorke said. “Our defense has been playing very strongly, and our forwards and midfielders are making great use of their scoring opportunities.”

Against Bates, Moonjoo Han ’03 opened the scoring late in the first half off an assist from Christina Petrelli ’05. However, the Ephs did not hold the lead, as Julia Price tied it for the Bobcats with a goal late in regulation.

In the second overtime with the score knotted at 1-1, Tori Scott ’04 found Boyd in the circle, and she beat goalie Lindsey Gary for the game-winner.

Coming off the emotional win over the Bobcats, a letdown could have been expected the next day, but the Ephs came out on fire against Colby.

Han again played the role of catalyst, as she took a beautiful feed from Stef Noering ’03 midway through the first half and put the Ephs on the board with her second goal of the season.

Early in the second half, Noering assisted on another goal, which Boyd put home this time. Using pinpoint passing in the circle, Molly Jennings ’04 fed Noering, who passed to Boyd for the goal. Sara Meserve ’05 capped the scoring for the Ephs.

It was a dominating performance on both ends, as the Ephs out-cornered the White Mules 11 to three. Defensively, Wendy Stone ’05 registered her fourth shutout of the season, stopping seven shots. Stone also had seven saves against Bates.

Thursday, the Ephs hammered Union 3-0. Scott had a goal and two assists and Stone made five saves in the shutout.

“We really played great on Thursday,” Rorke said. “Everyone was moving the ball well and making good use of our penalty corners.”

Scott scored an unassisted goal in the first half, and then fed Noering for a goal early in the second. Scott got her second assist on a nice pass to Petrelli late in the game. Noering scored her team-leading sixth goal despite playing with a sore quadriceps.

The Ephs have a huge contest coming up with Middlebury this Saturday at home at noon.