Women’s tennis thrives in doubles

This weekend, four members of women’s tennis traveled to Bruswick, Maine, to compete in the Omni Hotel Regional Tennis Tournament, hosted by Bowdoin. Kate Troy ’04, Julie Mallory ’04, Steph Hall ’04 and Alex Maclennan ’06 represented the two-time defending champions this weekend. The Ephs struggled in singles, but Mallory and Troy did manage to defend Williams’ doubles title.

“In terms of singles we didn’t do as well as we did in previous years,” Head Coach Sarah Marks said. “However, we ended on a good note by winning the doubles championships.”

Maclennan entered the match on Friday seeded first in the region. However, Maclennan lost in the second round to Amherst’s Tristan Hedrick by a score of 6-2, 2-6, 10-1. Hall upset sixth-seeded Diana Dreyfus of Trinity (6-3, 7-5).

Besides those two matches, all other seeds held serve. Troy defeated Caren Harris of Colby (6-3, 6-3) before losing to Rachel Holt of Amherst in the second round (6-1, 6-2.) Holt went on to win the singles title. Mallory advanced into the third round before falling to second seed Kristin Raverta of Amherst.

Besides the eventual winning pair of Mallory and Troy, Williams was also represented by top seed Maclennan and Hall in the 16-team doubles tournament. The Eph pair cruised in the early going before losing to the Lord Jeff duo of Paige Lawrence and Raverta. Mallory and Troy avenged their fellow Ephs’ loss by defeating Lawrence and Raverta in the title game, by the final score of 9-7.

“It was a really good weekend for the two of us, we really grew together as a team,” Mallory said. “We hadn’t played doubles together that much going into the tournament. We got four matches out of the tournament and we were able to really start playing together as a team instead of as two individuals.

“It’s a different kind of weekend because it wasn’t our whole team out there; it’s really the only individual tournament for us in the fall which might have thrown us off a little bit but we managed to come away with a lot and we hope to use the experience from those matches to help us the rest of the way.”

Both Mallory and Troy – the pride of Wauwatosa, Wisc. – are now automatic all-Americans. The Ephs return home to battle Middlebury College at home this Wednesday at 4:15 p.m. The Ephs will also face Wesleyan at home on Saturday at 12 p.m.