Hockey team needs to own up to actions

Last week Brian Teixeira wrote an article that claimed the men’s hockey team was unfairly labeled as troublesome because of the illegal actions of “a few good-hearted individuals” on the hood of a female MCLA student’s car. Teixeira goes on to claim that the hockey team is simply misunderstood, and many players are actually avid church-goers and double-majors. I acknowledge that there certainly are kind people who play hockey at Williams. However, on a small campus such as Williams, behavior such as the event involving North Adams students will quickly result in a group reputation, and in the case of the hockey team I am not sure how undeserved it actually is.

I have spoken with several female students on this campus who have horror stories to share about drunken members of the hockey team trying to force them into compromising positions. I have female friends who have walked into their rooms at night only to find a hockey player passed out on their bed, and other girls have had their rooms invaded late at night by obnoxious and threatening members of the men’s hockey team. Many female students here are simply scared of the men’s hockey team, and this is not merely because of the actions of “a few good-hearted individuals who made a poor decision.”

In the fall of 2000, the men’s hockey team thought it would be funny to go around to different freshman entries and steal shampoo from all of the bathrooms. It is one thing to “horse around in the locker room,” but quite another thing to steal from your fellow Williams students. This might have been a stupid prank to them, but it was a pain to spend my free time making a trip to the store to replace the shampoo that they stole from me. Clearly it was more than “a few good-hearted individuals” who went around stealing dozens and dozens of bottles of shampoo.

My point is this, Brian: your beloved team has earned that reputation of being troublemakers and, to be blunt, jerks. Rather than whine about how the team is unfairly labeled, men’s hockey players should admit their mistakes. You should follow the example of your teammates who are actually nice people and start acting responsibly. Show that you have actually learned from your mistakes, and be an asset to the Williams campus rather than a cancer. Only then will you regain the respect of the Williams community. Only then will your tarnished reputation become clean again.