Field hockey posts wins over Trinity and Keene State

No one should have expected anything less from Stef Noering ’03 on Saturday.

Locked up with Trinity in a 0-0 tie late in the second half, Noering, captain and the Ephs’ top player, banged home the only goal in Williams’ 1-0 win over their conference rival.

“Their defense made it tough for us to get things going today, but I finally got the ball down low,” Noering said. “And Moonjoo [Han ’03] made a great pass to set me up.”

Han carried the ball into the circle and made a perfect feed to Noering down low. From there, Noering beat Trinity goalie Gwen Gillespie amid heavy traffic in front of the net.

“Trinity is known for their defensive play, and their goalie had a phenomenal game today,” Head Coach Alix Rorke said. “But Steff and Moonjoo really came through for us with excellent play down low in the circle.”

Noering’s goal was the lone bright spot on a sluggish day for the Ephs (4-1, 2-1 NESCAC), who had trouble with Trinity’s attacking defensive scheme. “Sometimes they have three of four defenders closing in on you at one time,” Han said. “And when that happens, it’s tough to make good passes.”

With the Eph offense struggling, the defense held its ground and kept the Trinity offense at bay. Back Leanne McManama ’03 was solid, and Wendy Stone ’05 made four saves for her second consecutive shutout.

“Leanne played a really good game today,” Noering said.

The Ephs had 15 corners to only six for the Bantams. However, the offensive struggles were puzzling considering Trinity (0-6) has yet to win a game all year.

“We really needed to utilize our corners for this game, which we were having a tough time with,” Rorke said.

“I think our intensity was a bit low, especially in the first half,” Han said.

If the intensity was low, perhaps it was because the Ephs suffered a letdown after a dominating performance over Keene State on Thursday. Jaye Gregory ’06, Noering, and Tori Scott ’04 all had goals all had goals as the Ephs fought off the cold, wet conditions for the 3-0 shutout.

“We really began to move up and down the field in the second half,” Rorke said. “Our passing picked up and we definitely started taking better corners.”

Gregory started things off for the Ephs early in the first half. Scott fed the first-year, who carried the ball into the circle and beat Keene State goalie Amy Carroll 7:14 into the game.

Williams had other opportunities, but Carroll (18 saves) picked up her game and held the Ephs scoreless the rest of the half.

“We started flat-footed in the first half, although we were passing well,” Rorke said.

Williams came out of the gates in the second, as Noering put her team up 2-0 off an assist from Kate Leonard ’03. Ten minutes later, Molly Jennings ’04 found Scott close to the net to cap off the scoring.

The Ephs’ defense was air-tight, as Stone made only four saves in the shutout. Rorke also commended Sabrina Locks ’05 for having a stellar outing. Up next, the Ephs play at Union College on Thursday afternoon. However, they will need to play better to chalk up another tally in the win column.

“We need to work a little more on our communication,” Noering said. “If we do that, we’ll be a lot better off.”