AMT to host satirist

Noted South African satirist and social activist Pieter-Dirk Uys will perform back-to-back shows on the Adams Memorial Theatre MainStage on Oct. 2 and 3 – on Wednesday as himself in “Foreign AIDS,” and on Thursday in “An Evening with an African Queen” as his alter-ego, Mrs. Evita Bezuidenhout, who has been called “the most famous white woman in South Africa.” Both shows begin at 8 p.m.

Uys first gained fame – and notoriety – in Cape Town almost thirty years ago as a playwright who rallied emphatically against apartheid. The frequent censorship of his plays by the South African government served only to fuel his politics, and over the years he emerged as the country’s premiere satirist. In addition, Uys run a private cabaret and acting workshops 55 minutes north of the capitol.

Uys has performed in ten different countries across four continents, his current cause  scoping the AIDS crisis that now racks Africa. At once political and poignant, Uys’ work challenges South African educators to talk openly about sex in order to prevent the further spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

He comes to Williams at the invitation of friend and theatre department chair David Eppel. Tickets to both events are free, but reservations, which can be made through the AMT Box Office, are recommended and seating is limited.