Golf cleans up at Little Threes

It’s official: the members of the golf team can begin packing their bags for Lincoln, Neb. and the annual NCAA Men’s Div. III Golf Championships. The event will be held at the Firethorn Country Club May 12-16.

This marks the seventh consecutive year that the Ephs have qualified for the event.

Scheduled to represent the College are Will Sicks ’03, David Mihm ’03, Max Montgelas ’03, Aaron Flink ’03 and Ross Koller ’04. Sicks and Montgelas will each be making their third appearances at the national championship, Mihm and Flink their second, while Koller will be making his first appearance.

“I’ve heard a lot about the Firethorn C.C. and feel that our team is anxious to compete on this Pete Dye lay-out,” noted Rick Pohle, head coach of golf. “Being selected as one of the top-24 teams in the country is a great honor and we’d like to see where we stack up against the golf powerhouses of Div. III.”

The team earned the honor after demolishing their competition at the fourth consecutive Little Three championships on May 1. Even another cool spring day in the Berkshires couldn’t slow down the red-hot Ephs as they completely dominated the squads from Amherst and Wesleyan.

“Starting with last spring’s schedule, we’ve been playing some pretty impressive golf,” noted Pohle. “I’ve had some pretty good teams through the years, but this one has performed the best for an extended period of time. The toughest thing I’ve had to endure is to decide who gets to represent us at each event.”

Williams got off to a quick start by winning three of the four alternate-shot matches and tying the fourth match against archrival Amherst; while sweeping all four against Wesleyan. The domination continued in the afternoon as the Ephs won seven of the singles matches from Amherst and tied the other for seven and a half points; while beating Wesleyan in seven of the eight matches played. “I know we were confident that we could win – especially on our home course – but the margins of victories were not what I would have expected,” added Pohle.

Leading the way to the Ephs’ victory in the singles were Sicks, who beat his Amherst opponent by seven and five and his Wesleyan opponent by nine and eight, and Mihm, who beat his Amherst opponent by four and three and his Wesleyan opponent by five and three.

The Ephs finished the season ranked 10th in the latest Div. III Precept Golf Coaches Poll, behind mostly Southern schools. The Ephs will get a shot at some of those schools in Lincoln next week.