Golf wins rain-shortened Shootout

It was only a one day weekend for men’s golf, that was all it took to win the District Shootout as downpours claimed Sunday’s action, making Saturday’s results final as the Ephs defended their 2001 title against a 12-team field.

A solid 19-over-par score of 303 at Williams’ Taconic Golf Course edged Babson’s 309 and a 315 from Husson.

“We’re pretty pleased, 303 is always a good number to fire on any course, particularly on a windy day at Taconic,” said Max Montgelas ’03, who shot a 4-over 75, good for an individual fourth place tie with his teammate, co-captain Will Sicks ’03. “I was pleased with my performance. I’ve been struggling a bit this spring, and I think I managed to get my game back a little.”

The Ephs, who were ranked 13th overall in the most recent Div. III Precept Coach Poll, had solid contributions from their entire roster as Williams golfers spread across the leader board.

David Mihm ’03 backed up the typically strong performances of Montgelas and Sicks with a five-over 76, which put him in sixth place even after struggling with a 42 on the back nine.

Aaron Flink ’03 and Bryan Harmon ’04 chimed in with 77’s while Ned Wydysh ’04 fired a 79 to give the Ephs six golfers in the top 18 to defend their home turf.

“Knowing the course absolutely helps,” Montgelas said of the par 71 beauty. “We definitely have a much better record at Taconic because we all know the course so well.”

Apparently so did Husson’s Joe Alvarez, who was the only golfer under par on Saturday with a 70. Alvarez lit up the front nine with a 33 after a noon tee time that was more favorable to the weather conditions than some of the others on the day.

Alvarez led the all-tournament team, which consisted of the top five individual performers on the day – Alvarez, Skidmore’s Joey Pohle (73), Babson’s Steven Eklund (74), Montgelas and Sicks.

Amherst, which is ranked ahead of Williams in the most recent Precept Fans Poll, did not have any golfers finish in the top 20 at the District Shootout, which pulls plenty of weight for NCAA tournament seedings, to be announced tomorrow.

Tomorrow, the Ephs will also play host to the Little Three Championships, a 36-hole event that Williams has won three consecutive times.

“Little Threes are home this year. We’re real excited about that,” Montgelas said of the shootout, which uses the same format as the PGA’s Ryder Cup.

“Amherst is pretty strong and Wesleyan can hold its own. I think we’ve been playing a little better than they have so far, and if things go well, we should come out on top.”