Golf preps for district match

It was not enough that 30-degree temperatures and a biting north wind complicated play for men’s golf at Skidmore’s Palamountain Invitational on Monday, but add a little sleet and a snow accumulation of about an inch and you’ve got unplayable conditions.

Consequently, after six holes the tournament play was suspended and each of the schools trekked home to their campuses. No date was proposed for a re-schedule, which suggests that the match will probably not happen this year, considering the brevity of the spring season.

The next event for the Ephs will be the District Shoot-Out, which will be held this weekend at the Taconic Golf Club. The top-12 teams from the district will battle for bragging rights at this 36-hole event, which usually has a lot to do with the NCAA’s final selections to nationals.

The Ephs are the defending champions, but should expect a battle from perennial power Skidmore and a host of others including Babson, UMass-Dartmouth, Amherst and Husson.

“This should be a good test for us and I would expect our players to welcome the challenge,” said Rick Pohle, head coach of men’s golf. “We’ll be spending the rest of the week determining the final roster for this event.”

Golf played host to the Spring Challenge at Taconic Golf Club a day earlier. With a collective 308, 24 over par, the Ephs finished in second place behind rival Amherst, which finished 21 over par as a team with a 305. Leading the way for the Ephs was Ross Koller ’04 with a four-over 75. Koller finished four back of the individual winner Damon Gacicia of Middlebury.

Women’s golf won its first-ever team event with a score of 392 as the Ephwomen hosted Holy Cross and the prep school Loomis-Chaffee at the Taconic Golf Course on Saturday. Holy Cross finished a full 18 shots behind Williams after shooting a 410, while Loomis-Chaffee finished with a 440.

The low round of the day went to Katie Vitello ’05 who finished with an 86. Falling in behind Vitello were Kristin Engelbrecht-Bleem ’04 with a 95, good for third place overall, Julia Tingley ’05 with a 105 and Zoe Unger ’02 with a 106.

Kate Werble ’02 also played but her score was not used for the team total of best four out of five scores.Â

“This is a big step for the Williams women as we move forward with a more serious schedule of team matches,” said Cathy Pohle, head coach of women’s golf.

Next up for women’s golf is a May 5 date with Elmira and Middlebury.