Men’s lax suffers fourth one-goal defeat

Men’s lacrosse (4-5, 2-3 in the NESCAC) ran out of time and luck this week at Cole Field. Two one-goal losses and an overall three-game losing streak leave the Ephmen in a do-or-die situation heading into the remainder of their NESCAC schedule next week.

Wednesday’s game against Skidmore was the last non-conference game before the postseason, and had the potential to give the Ephs a lot of confidence and momentum heading into the second-half of the season.

Just like the Colby game, the Ephs came out a little slow and trailed 4-1 at the end of the first period.

Head Coach Renzie Lamb’s quarter-end words must have lit a fire under the Ephmen, as they came out ready to play in the second, tying the game at six. A few costly fumbles allowed Skidmore to score three quick goals and take a 9-6 lead at halftime.

Skidmore came out strong again in the second half, amassing a 12-7 lead in the fourth quarter. Williams refused to go down quietly, scoring three goals in as many minutes to come within two at the halfway point of the fourth quarter.

Johnny Kelly ’02, Graeme Sanderson ’03 and Derek Chapman ’02 went on a scoring frenzy to help bring the Ephs back into the game, but the Skidmore defense proved too much to overcome late in the fourth.

Andrew Layng ’03 scored the game’s last goal with seconds remaining, but it was not enough to surpass the lead Skidmore had built. It was a disappointing loss, but showed signs of promise and helped define the Ephs as a team that would not give up late in the game.

The Trinity Bantams traveled to Cole Field on Saturday to take on the Ephs in a critical conference game for Williams. After a two-game losing skid, the Ephs really needed a win against Trinity to stay in the NESCAC race, and have something positive to build upon in the next two home games.

It was a great day for lacrosse – the weather was warm and so was the reception of the Williams faithful that came out for the game.

It looked like it was going to be a great afternoon for Williams lacrosse too, at least in the beginning. Pete Thomson ’03 scored the game-opening goal less than a minute into the first period.

He was followed by Chris Hayes ’03 and Scott Goldberg ’02, both of whom scored unassisted goals to help stake the Ephs to a 3-0 lead by the end of the first quarter.

The Bantams, 1-6 on the year entering the game, came out in the second on fire, scoring five unanswered goals in the second to take the lead at halftime. Few were worried though, because the Ephs had proved that they have what it takes to come back late in the game.

Unfortunately, Trinity really came to play on Saturday, scoring three more unanswered goals in the third. Graeme Sanderson ’03 scored the lone goal for the Ephs in the second and third quarters, making the score 9-4 heading into the final quarter.

The Ephs, conscious that the fans at Cole Field would certainly have been disappointed by a blowout, came out swinging in the fourth. William Marino ’02 took control of the offensive attack, scoring a goal at the 11:06 mark after a nice pass from Derek Chapman ’02.

With about four minutes remaining, the Ephs launched an impressive last-ditch run, scoring three goals in just over two minutes.

A collapsing Chapman fired an off-balance shot past Trinity goalkeeper Eric Wilson to bring the Ephs back within one goal at the 2:15 mark. Trailing 9-8, the Ephs gave it everything they had in the final minutes, but sadly came up short by one goal again as time ran out.

“This has been a disappointing week for us,” said co-captain Blair Bartlett ’02. “We have showed a lot of character in our comebacks, though. What we really need to do is go out there and play four full quarters. Playing two strong quarters isn’t enough. We need to get the killer instinct back.”

The Ephs will square off with conference foe Connecticut College today at 4:30 p.m. on Cole Field, and play host to Wesleyan on Saturday in a contest set to begin at 2 p.m.