Golf loses first match in tie-breaker

The first match of a season is always unpredictable, but Rick Pohle, head coach of golf, has to be pleased with his team’s results from Thursday’s Massachusetts Intercollegiates at the Stow Acres Golf Club (par 72), even if there was cause for a little disappointment.

“It was our first competition of the spring and on a course that none of the Eph players had ever seen,” Pohle said. “I think as a team, we played pretty solid to shoot 316, but several big numbers hurt our scoring today.”

David Mihm ’03 and Ross Koller ’04 led the way for the Ephs with 77s to tie for third place in the individual competition.

“I feel like we played pretty well, the greens were a little rough so we couldn’t make too many putts,” Mihm said. “This being our first tournament of the year, it was good to get it under our belts.”

Co-captain Will Sicks ’03 fired an 80, an impressive number after being eight over par on his first 8 holes.

“I think overall we should be pleased with the way we played relative to other teams,” said Sicks. “Once Taconic opens, we will have an easier time preparing for our matches.”

Ned Wydysh ’04 contributed an 82, while Max Montgelas ’03 struggled to an 87. “Max has always been a slow starter,” Pohle noted. “But I am confident that he will do the necessary things to turn it around. He is too much of a competitor to not do anything about it.”

UMass-Dartmouth tied the Williams total of 316, largely because of the outstanding 2 under par (70) round shot by transfer Brent Amaral. In the event of a tie, the match is decided by the scores of the non-counting team from each school, which gave the Corsairs the title. “We can’t dwell on the fact that any one particular shot cost us the championship,” said Pohle. “We have to exercise a little better course management for the future.”

“We were pretty happy with our start to the season,” said Sicks. “We always try and keep our team score under 320, and considering we haven’t been able to practice all that much it was a real good start to the season.

“We beat out Amherst and Babson, who we face a lot over the course of the season, and beating them helps us secure our spot to nationals.”