Giannacopoulos drafted to A-League

Men’s soccer forward Ted Giannacopoulos ’02 was drafted in the third round by the Pittsburgh Riverhounds of the A-League and has signed a two-year contract with the Riverhounds. Giannacopoulos’s contract also contains an option for a third year. Giannacopoulos scored 35 goals and assisted on 33 others in his Ephs career for a total of 103 points.

“Teddy is the most dynamic player with the ball I have coached here,” noted Mike Russo, head coach of men’s soccer. “He is absolutely brilliant with the ball. He’s fast, quick and explosive. He’s as dangerous with the pass as he is with his shot.

“When I saw how well he played in the Umbro Senior Select All-Star Classic with the top players in Div. I, I thought someone in the pro game would give him a chance. His three assists in the two games were impressive.”

Pittsburgh plans to use Giannacopoulos in the midfield, but will give him some time up front as well. “I’m very excited to have this opportunity,” said Giannacopoulos. “Having played four years under Mike Russo, I know I am prepared for the pro game. Pittsburgh is making a commitment to me with the two-year contract and the option year, but I also know this is a business. I could get traded, sold, loaned or even picked up by a major league soccer team, but I am ready for all of that.”

Giannacopoulos will be making some short forays to Pittsburgh on weekends to get acclimated and maybe even make an appearance or two until his final exams are completed in early May.

Giannacopoulos is the eighth player in the Russo era to play professionally and the fourth Eph selected to play in the Umbro National Senior Select All-Star game – only two seniors from Div. III are asked to participate in the contest.

Giannacopoulos managed 12 goals and 11 assists this past season, and is only the second player in College history to be named an All-American in soccer in each of his or her four seasons, having been named to the third team All-American as a first-year, and a first team All-American in each of the last three years.