Senior hurt in women’s hockey’s 4-2 loss

The goalie position for the Williams women’s hockey team is cursed.

First, it was Monelle Quevillon ’03 who was injured for most of the season. A few games into her comeback, she was injured again in net. Fern Senior ’04 suffered an injury to her leg in a 4-2 loss to Bowdoin on Sunday, and the injury may render her incapable of performing in the playoffs.

Though the team has the capable Anna MacIntosh ’02 to serve in net, head coach Joe Milan has favored a rotation system whereby Senior and MacIntosh split time in the net – a strategy that will obviously need reconsideration if Senior is on the disabled list.

“There was a scramble in front of the net and I had to go up and down in the butterfly position,” Senior said. “The third time when I was getting back up I felt something pop in my knee. The word right now is they think it’s a sprained MCL, but I’m going to get a full evaluation at the Health Center this week.

“From what I know right now I probably won’t be able to play next weekend, there’s really no time frame yet for when I’ll be ready to play again.”

While Senior was in net, Bowdoin built up a 2-0 lead on goals from Gillian McDonald and Shelly Chessie. After Senior’s injury at the 10:56 mark of the second period, MacIntosh held Bowdoin scoreless for the remainder of the frame. A Tori Scott ’04 power play goal at the 4:34 mark, assisted by Karen Thome ’03, helped Williams go into the second intermission down by one.

Then, one minute into the third, Bonnie Lui ’04 knotted the score with a goal assisted by Gigi Stender ’05. But Bowdoin came back four minutes later to take a 3-2 advantage when Jess Burke beat MacIntosh for the tally.

A beautiful pass from Chessie led to a one-time goal, and the eventual game-winner and season-sweeper, from Marissa O’Neil. Williams didn’t go down without a fight, however; with 40 seconds to go Annie Snodgrass ’05 deflected a Scott slapper past Polar Bear goalie Emily McKissock to cut the deficit to one.

But Williams was denied another scoring chance as Bowdoin buckled down on defense. McKissock played well in net all game long for the visitors, stopping 28 of 31 shots for the win.

On Saturday night, Wendy Stone ’02 had a goal and two assists, and Senior came through with a tremendous shutout as Williams defeated Colby, 5-0.

After being beaten up in Maine by the White Mules on Dec. 7, the Ephs wanted to come out and prove they were ready for the playoffs. Senior and the Williams defense made sure of it, as the sophomore stopped all 19 shots she faced en route to the shutout.

The scoring began in the first period, as Thome took a Snodgrass pass and beat White Mule goalie Lynn Hasday. Williams was able to take a two-goal lead into the locker room, as senior Amanda Weber beat Hasday off assists from Caitlin Bowler ’02 and Stone.

In the second it was more of the same story. Senior remained solid in net, and the offense received a boost off an unassisted goal from Stone and a power play goal from Snodgrass, assisted by Molly Wasserman ’04.

With a safe four-goal cushion, Williams buckled down the defense and Senior continued to dominate Colby. A third period power play tally from Wasserman was the final lamp-lighting of the night, as the Ephs came away with the 5-0 triumph.

Williams is now finished with the regular season and, for the next challenge, will face Wesleyan at Lansing Chapman Rink on Saturday.

The Ephwomen exploded for four goals in the third period of their contest against the Cardinals on Nov. 24 en route to a 7-0 victory. The Ephs pounded the Cardinals again on Feb. 9, winning that contest 6-0.

History would seem to favor the Ephs, but members of the team are wary of becoming complacent. “Confidence can be a double-edged sword,” Wasserman said. “If you have too much of it you won’t play your best, and if you have too little you won’t play your best either – we just need to keep a level head. The key to the game is we have to start scoring early; we think if we can net a couple goals early it should be a relatively easy game.”