Skiing places fifth at St. Lawrence carnival

The ski team posted a solid showing at its first carnival of the season, finishing in fifth place among ten teams at the tournament held over the weekend at St. Lawrence College. The Ephs scored 550.5 points in the competition; the alpine team led the way with 280.0 points while the nordic team contributed the remaining 270.5.

Dartmouth College (727.5) won the carnival, followed by the University of Vermont (UVM) (680), University of New Hampshire (624.5) and Middlebury College (617).

The Ephs’ alpine team finished fourth among its downhill competition while the nordic team placed fifth in the cross-country field.

“We were pretty satisfied with the results,” said head coach Bud Fisher. “We were hoping to finish fourth. As far as the nordic team, I was happy with the men’s fourth place finish on Friday [in the 20K classic race] and the women’s on Saturday [the sprint relay]. The men’s sixth place finish on Saturday [the sprint relay] wasn’t satisfactory at all.”

Eric Tietze ’03 led the way for the men’s nordic team with a personal record in Friday’s 20K classic race with a time of 1:11:45.2 – good enough for ninth place. Karl Remsen ’03 finished in 1:13:20.0, good for 12th place and a personal record of his own.

Ben Connard ’02, Matt Holland ’02 and Anders Haugen ’04 also posted impressive results finishing 16th, 20th and 21st, respectively.

Friday’s open classic was won by Eph alum Jason Lemieux ’01 in 1:11:29.9. Tim Stickney ’04 and Seth Behrends ’02 both finished in the race’s top 10.

In Saturday’s sprint races, Pete Leonard ’04 and Haugen teamed up to finish fifth in their heat. The disappointment of the day was Connard and Tietze’s eighth place finish in their heat.

On the women’s side, Friday’s 15K classic race saw Erin Graham ’02 ski to a 13th place finish in 1:06:34.5. Hilary Hackman ’04, who finished 19th in 1:08:04.1, was the only other Eph to finish in the race’s top 20.

“Classic races are not really Hilary’s strength, so we were really pleased with her result,” said Fisher.

Graham and Hackman teamed up on Saturday in the women’s successful sprint relay result. The Graham/Hackman duo finished in fifth place; Whitney Thompson ’04 and Sarah Torkelson ’04 managed a stellar third place finish in their heat to give the women a fourth place finish for the day.

The alpine teams both fared well, with the women finishing in fourth place and the men finishing fifth.

In the men’s giant slalom, Peter Endres ’04 finished 11th with a time of 2:11.76. That time put him approximately two seconds behind the race winner Scott Kennison out of UVM. J.J. Hanley ’02 finished 20th in 2:13.20

The men’s slalom again saw Endres lead the Ephs with a tenth place finish in 1:35.18. Brad Nichol ’02 was the only other Eph in the top 20, finishing 19th in 1:37.19. Bates’ Kyle Hildebrand won the race in 1:31.65.

In the women’s giant slalom, Ashley Carter ’04 finished 13th in 1:10.26. Addie Robinson ’05 finished fractions of a second behind Carter in 1:10.48 – good for 15th. Kate Leonard ’03 and Laura Cavin ’05 finished 17th and 19th, respectively. UVM’s Shaina Mulkern won the race with a time of 1:07.99.

In the women’s slalom, Robinson posted the second best time of any competitor in the first run (52.51), but fell off the pace slightly in the second run to finish in fifth place with a total time of 1:41.77. Carter finished 19th with a time of 1:45.97. The race was ultimately won by Alexandra Krembs in 1:40.40.

“Overall, we’re pleased with where we are at,” said Fisher. “We’ve had lots of good training and we’re excited to go up to Bates and do even better than we did [at St. Lawrence].”

The team’s next carnival will be this weekend at Bates.

Results For This Carnival