Beasley nets five goals in three games, but men’s hockey finishes week 1-1-1

Men’s hockey, up and down all season to the tune of an 8-5-2 record and fifth place in the NESCAC with a 6-2-2 record, continued its inconsistent ways this week by going 1-1-1. After a loss to Plattsburgh State, the Ephs defeated St. Anselm before finishing the week with a tie at New England College.

It was a big week for tri-captain Andrew Beasley ’02, who had five goals in the three games. He proved his leadership during Friday’s 5-3 win over St. Anselm. In a seesaw battle, the senior forward took matters into his own hands by scoring three goals, thereby leading Williams to a tough win on the road.

With the Ephs trailing 1-0 midway through the first, Craig Wadman ’03 cashed in on a power play off an assist from Bill Gilchrist ’03 to even the score at one apiece. After St. Anselm (5-5-4) had regained the lead, Beasley tied it early on in the second off of another setup from Gilchrist (two assists). Brian Teixeira ’04, who had been held scoreless on the season coming into this week, netted a goal in his second straight game.

With the game knotted at 3-3 early in the third period, Beasley scored what proved to be the game-winner only 46 seconds after Aaron Crear had tied it for St. Anselm. His unassisted goal in the final minute completed the hat trick and iced the win for the Ephs. Williams goalie Ben Fash ’04 played a stellar game, making 27 saves for his fourth win of the year.

Defenseman Ryan Sochacki ’04, fresh off of a three-game suspension, had an assist in his first game back.

“We didn’t play that well at first,” said defensive enforcer Brent Kozel ’02. “But we were fortunate to pull out an ugly win.”

Sochacki had two more assists the next night, but Williams could only manage a 2-2 tie against New England College Saturday, despite out-shooting its opponents 30-23. Steve Baldassarri ’05 and Beasley scored for the Ephs, who applied heavy offensive pressure all night but struggled to put the puck in the net.

Ephs goalie Mike Aroesty ’03 was sound in goal, making 21 saves. His counterpart, Michael Shimek, stopped 28 shots.

“I thought we actually played better against New England [College] than we did the night before,” said Kozel. “But their goalie played pretty well and we just couldn’t manage to get that big goal we needed.”

Last Tuesday’s game was a puzzling one for Williams. The Ephs started strong, but were punchless in the last two periods as they fell to Plattsburgh State 6-3. Teixeira, Beasley and Wes Fox ’03 all had first period goals as the Ephs jumped out to a 3-2 lead after one.

Unfortunately for the Ephmen, those three first period goals would constitute all the offense the team could muster on the day.

Plattsburgh replaced goalie Tony Seariac with Niklas Sundberg to start the second and Williams could not score another goal. In fact, the Ephs could amass very little offense at all, as Sundberg faced only nine shots over the final two periods. Aroesty made 32 saves for the Ephs, but let five shots get past him. Plattsburgh’s final goal was an empty netter.

The Williams special teams, which have struggled of late, allowed two more power play goals. Tri-captain Dan Houck ’02 had two assists for Williams and Kevin Darcy ’05, in his first game back from an injury, added an assist as well.

Up next for Williams is a weekend outside Boston with games against Babson and UMass-Boston. The two games will close out a five-game road trip.