After loss, women’s hockey drubs Amherst and Hamilton

Following an 8-0 defeat at the hands of Middlebury, women’s hockey (9-5, 6-3 in the NESCAC) rebounded admirably and registered convincing victories of their own against conference rivals Amherst and Hamilton.

On Saturday, forward Tori Scott ’04 paced the Ephs with a pair of goals and an assist, while teammate Gigi Stender ’05 chipped in with a goal and two assists as Williams shut out Amherst (4-10, 3-8) 6-0.

Scott drew first blood 6:22 into the opening period, blasting a slap shot from the slot past Amherst goalie Heidi Alexander. Stender added to the tally moments later, intercepting a cross-ice pass in the Amherst defensive zone and firing a laser off the cross-bar and into the back of the net to give the Ephs a 2-0 advantage.

Williams blew the game wide open with a trio of goals in the second period. After the first pair, Scott waltzed in from the right circle and shot a wrister over Alexander’s shoulder to put the Ephs ahead 5-0. Forward Molly Wasserman ’04 added her team-leading 17th goal of the season midway through the third period to set the final score at 6-0.

Anna MacIntosh ’02 started the game in net for the Ephs, stopping all nine first period shots. Fern Senior ’04 took over from there and stopped the remaining eight shots fired from the Lord Jeffs, as the two combined for the shutout.

The win lifts the Ephs’ overall record to 9-5, and their NESCAC record to 6-3. They will be in action again Wednesday when they travel to RPI for a 7 p.m. face-off.

Karen Thome ’03 put home a goal and four assists, while Scott and Wasserman each had a goal and three assists as Williams unleashed a potent offensive attack Friday night at Hamilton. The team’s 27 shots and seven goals in the first period helped the Ephs put the game away early en route to a 9-1 victory.

The Ephs were excellent on the power play all night long and converted on three of five opportunities in woman-advantage situations. All three of these goals came in the first period, as Thome, Wasserman and Julia Karoly ’03 all sent shots past Continental goalie Jen Kroleski.

The Ephs continued the onslaught in the second period, as Caitlin Bowler ’02 scored 4:42 into the period off an assist from Sophie de la Barra ’02 and Thome. Marissa Halligan finally got Hamilton on the board at the end of the period when she beat MacIntosh for their only goal.

Wendy Stone ’05 closed out the scoring for Williams in the third period as she blasted a shot by Kroleski.

The Ephs outshot the Continentals 50 to 22, as MacIntosh stopped 21 of the Hamilton shots. Karoly finished with two goals for the Ephs.

On Wednesday night, the Middlebury Panthers stretched their astounding unbeaten streak to 134 games at Lansing Chapman Rink following an 8-0 drubbing of the Ephs. The first period of action was very close as both teams attacked their respective zones and had good scoring opportunities. Erin Neil scored the lone tally of the period, which proved to be the game-winner, on a one-timer off the first of Amber Neil’s two assists.

The Eph defense held together for the remainder of the period as Fern Senior ’04 stopped the other five shots that the Panthers unleashed in her direction. But in period number two, it was a whole new game.

Middlebury scored on seven of their 10 shots in the period, while all 13 shots the Ephs took were enveloped by Panther goalie Megan Hutchinson, who played the whole game for the shutout.

The highlight of the period for Hutchinson was when Wasserman made an unbelievable deke on the defender and sent a hard wrist shot on net that would certainly have gotten the better of most the NESCAC’s goaltenders. But Hutchinson was a stone wall, making the denial look routine on her way to a 25-save night.

The offensive highlight of the period for the Panthers was a beautiful top-shelf wrist shot by Kristin Reid during a short-handed opportunity.

In the third period there was a new goalie for the Ephs, but the same story on the scoreboard. The Panthers lit up MacIntosh and the Eph defense for four more goals to bring the final tally to 8-0. Amber Neil scored two of those goals, both of which came on power plays, and Catherine Elkins picked up four assists in the period.

This was an extremely tough loss for the Ephs, as they played Middlebury much closer last season in the playoffs. Fortunately the team was able to rebound quickly enough to take advantage of weaker Amherst and Hamilton squads.