Track and field looking for depth

On Sunday, the track and field team traveled north to Hanover, New Hampshire, for the 2002 Dartmouth Relays, an early-season venue that annually attracts Division I and Division III schools from all over New England.

“It was a good meet for us, overall,” said Ralph White, head coach for Williams’ men’s and women’s squads. “Some people were a little rusty coming off of winter break, others a little flat because they hadn’t raced recently or they raced yesterday at the Williams All-Comer’s Open. But today was a start ? it showed us where we need to be. I expect to see some major improvements by next week, when we bring the team to Harvard.” The Greater Boston Track Club Invitational is next on Williams’s schedule.

For the Williams women, Torey Baldwin ’04 exceeded her previous personal best in the 20-pound weight-throw by more than a meter, marking 13.95 meters to catapult herself onto the list of provisional qualifiers for the Division III NCAA Indoor Championships at Ohio Northern University in March. Meredith Jones ’04 came within two inches of the school record in the triple-jump, pushing herself to a distance of 35’ 8.5″.

Prior to Sunday, Jones’ personal best had been 34’ 9.25″. Jones then came back to register a 10’ 6″ leap in the pole vault, tying her own existing school record. Jenn Campbell ’05 ran machine-smooth in the 3000-meters, taking third overall with a time of 10:06.76.

Men’s pole-vaulter Malcolm Perry ’02 cleared 15’ 0″, shattering what had come to be his personal glass ceiling ? Perry had been stuck just under the 15-foot barrier since early last year. In the second heat of the men’s 3000-meters, Matthew Winkler ’04 broke away from the pack with six laps remaining, streaking across the finish line alone in 8:41.96 good for third place overall behind runners from Dartmouth and the Universite de Sherbrooke (Canada) from the first flight.

Chris Garvin ’03 managed a similar feat in the second heat of the men’s mile, running a 4:24.78 which translated into eighth place among runners from both heats. Chuck Jakobsche ’04 clocked 50.56 in the open 400-meter dash, placing sixth. Captain Jamiyl Peters ’02 ran 6.62 in the 55-meter dash, his second-fastest time on record in the event, fast enough to earn fifth place among the 56-man field.

“This is a talented team,” Coach White said, “and this will be another good year. But we need to find depth, and that’s what we’ll be working on in the weeks to come ? how to pick up those sixths and sevenths. That’s how we’ll have to win meets.”

The men’s team in particular is focusing its attention on the upcoming Jan. 26 home meet against Div. III New England rival the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). On paper, MIT has Williams by the horns; only the volume and quality of work that the Ephs put into their training in the next two weeks will dictate the intensity with which they defend their home arena.

“Nobody ? nobody ? will walk into our house without a contest,” Coach White promised. “We will be ready.”