Alex Blake ’03 named national Div. III soccer player of the year

Men’s soccer striker Alex Blake ’03 has been named the 2001 National Soccer Coaches Association (NSCAA)/Adidas Division III National Player of the Year.

“I was very surprised to learn that I had been named player of the year,” Blake said. “I didn’t expect to receive this honor being that I’m a junior and that we got knocked out so early. I feel very honored and very shocked, it hasn’t really set in yet. I share this honor with my teammates; my job was to put the ball in the net, and I couldn’t have done that without such a strong supporting cast.”

“This award is a tribute to Alex’s maturity and his development as a player,” said Eph head coach Mike Russo. “It’s a tremendous achievement for him. Alex joins two other outstanding players we have had win this award [Terry Kaufmann ’96 and Brad Murray ’97]. He is the first junior we have had win player of the year. There’s no telling where this award can take him in the future.”

Blake, a two-time NESCAC player of the year, two time first team NSCAA all-New England selection and two time first team NSCAA all-American, rewrote the Williams record books this season, and now holds the Eph record for most career goals (57), most goals in one season (26), most points in one season (61), most consecutive games scoring at least one goal (12) and most career points (132).

He has led the NESCAC in scoring each of the last two years and set the single season goals record this season along with the consecutive games scoring mark and most points in a season. Blake is the third Williams player to receive the NSCAA player of the year award ? Terry Kaufmann ’96 won the award in 1995 and Brad Murray ’97 won it in 1996.