Wasserman’s third hat trick leads women’s hockey past Sacred Heart

It was just another day at the office for Molly Wasserman ’04 in Saturday’s game against Sacred Heart. The Minnetonka, Minn. native recorded another hat trick as the Ephs (5-1, 4-0 in the NESCAC) won 4-0. It was Wasserman?s third hat trick on the season – she had the others on back-to-back days earlier in the season.

The scoring began in the first period at 13:23, with Annie Snodgrass ?05 beating Pioneer goalie Taryn Catania. The goal came off the first of three assists on the day for Tori Scott ?04.

The defenses for both teams were dominant for the remainder of the first period and through much of the second. But, late in the second period, Wasserman took a Scott pass and sent a blast past Catania to give the Ephs a 2-0 advantage.

In the third, it was too much Wasserman, as she scored an unassisted goal midway through the period, and then closed the scoring out with a late power-play goal. Her final goal was assisted by Snodgrass and Scott.

The defense for the Ephs has to be given a lot of credit, as goalie Fern Senior ?04 only had to stop seven shots for the shutout. Catania also played solidly in net for the Pioneers, as she stopped 42 of the 46 shots that came her way.

?It was a good weekend of games for us,? said head coach Joe Milan. ?When we played with intensity we were solid. Hopefully, we can build on this as we have some big games coming up.?

A day earlier, Wasserman and Julia Karoly ?03 each contributed goals as the Ephwomen dispatched the University of Vermont 2-0.

Some of the most exciting news to come from the team?s early season success has been the play of Senior in goal. Last year?s starting goalie, Monelle Quevillon ?03, has been out due to a knee injury sustained in the NCAA field hockey tournament and Senior has stepped up admirably allowing only 1.76 goals per game.

Wasserman, last year?s NESCAC scoring leader, again finds herself atop the NESCAC scoring board, though this time she is tied with Bowdoin?s Shelly Chessie.

The next two games for the Ephs are sure to be battles, as they travel to Maine for a Friday night game at Colby, and Saturday matinee with Bowdoin. Game times are 7 p.m. and 3 p.m., respectively.