Strong individual, team performances as women’s track and field dominates

Men’s track and field hosted and won their first meet of the indoor season, beating squads from Middlebury, Westfield State, New Paltz, Keene State and RPI on Saturday.

The men gathered 90 points to Westfield State’s 49, while Keene State (47), New Paltz (17), Middlebury (16) and RPI (9) rounded out the field of six. The meet served primarily as a break from practice and a low-key opportunity for first-years to gain experience in meets.

Despite the early date in the season, there were plenty of impressive performances for the Ephmen in the meet.

Trey Wright’s ’03 throw of 16.14 meters in the shot put gave him both a win and a provisional qualification for the Division III Indoor National Championships March 9-10 at Ohio Northern University.

Richard Chau ’02 won the 35-pound weight throw at 15.43 meters, improving his previous best throw by over five feet and winning the competition by a large margin.

Head coach Ralph White was pleased with their excellent throws this early in the season.

“Trey and Richard had fantastic meets,” said White, “It’s the first meet of the season, and I’m certainly excited about what they can accomplish in the months ahead. It looks like it is going to be a great year for the team.”

Another impressive field event win came courtesy of Kali Gairy ’04 as he cleared 6’ 6″ to win the high jump, barely missing the national-qualifying standard of 6’ 7″. “That’s a great jump to start the season off with; he’ll be doing big things for us this season,” notes White.

On the track, Kevin Reilly ?03 finished a half-step behind Keene State’s Matt St. Germaine in the 600-meter run, crossing the line in 1:25.22.

St. Germaine, however, entered as an unattached competitor, and Reilly was credited the official scored win. Captain Jamiyl Peters ’02 had an outstanding meet as well, taking first place in both the 55- and 300-meter dashes, clocking 6.55 and 36.78, respectively.

“Both of those times were personal bests for Jamiyl, and he still has a lot more time to train and improve. What a way to open the season,” said White.

Looking ahead for the team, White sees a strong team with talent in every event. “There will be lots of improvement from this meet to the next. There’s a lot of excitement right now in the first years. There is still a lot of learning that will have to take place, and that’s really what this meet was about. This is a hard working group that I believe will really excel in the meets to come,” said White.

Next week the Ephs will be back in action on Saturday, joining the women to travel to Tufts University for the Tufts Invitational. This is the last competition on the team’s schedule before winter break.