Lipp chosen to chair Board of Trustees

Robert Lipp ’60 will take on a new role as chairman of the Executive Committee of the Williams College Board of Trustees in July 2002.

Additional changes to the board include the extension of the terms of two board members, Carl Vogt ’58 and Michael Keating, ’62 , and the appointment of Paul Grogan ’72 and Janet Brown ’72 to the board.

Lipp, who has been a member of the board since 1999, has already played important roles on several committees. He has also made many other contributions to the Williams community. He was a member of the New York City Major Gifts Committee during the Third Century Campaign and is currently a Gaudino Fund Trustee.

As president of the New York City Ballet, Lipp has brought the Ballet to the College campus several times. Additionally, he is teaching a winter study course on non-profit organizations for the second year.

Professionally, Lipp has had a very successful career in banking and insurance.

In the past, he served as chairman at Citigroup and was responsible for Citibank consumer banking throughout the world. He has also given his time as a Trustee of Carnegie Hall, as chairman of Dance-On, Inc. and as a director of the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (MassMoCA).

Lipp is enthusiastic about his new role as chairman. “I look forward to becoming more involved with the faculty and students, especially President [of the College Morton] Schapiro,” he said. “The real board leadership comes from him.”

Schapiro is equally excited about working with Lipp. “Bob Lipp is a remarkable man with an outstanding record of service to Williams and to a wide range of other organizations,” he said. “Whether it involves teaching a highly successful winter study course or bringing the New York City Ballet company to campus, he is constantly thinking of ways to give back to his alma mater.”

Lipp will replace current chairman Raymond Henze ’74. Henze will retire from the board in 2002 after 15 years of service to the College. He will be remembered for his extensive work as chair of the presidential search committee.

Schapiro was impressed by Henze’s many accomplishments. “One of the things I admire most about Ray’s leadership style is his willingness to engage all members of the Williams community?current students, alumni, faculty, and staff?in a dialogue about how our great College can become even better,” he said.

Vogt’s heavy involvement in the College includes serving as the College’s 15th president, during the 1999-2000 academic year. A partner in the law firm Fulbright and Jaworski, Vogt has also been very active in politics and was appointed to positions by both President Bush and President Clinton.

Furthermore, he has played an important part in charitable organizations such as the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Washington and the Chinquapin School for underprivileged boys.

Keating has served as chair of Williams’ Boston II Special Gifts campaign and the Public Affairs Committee.

He is a lawyer and a partner with Foley, Hoag, and Eliot. He is also the current president of the Boston Bar Association. Grogan will bring his extensive experience in urban policy to the board. He has served as chairman of his class’s 25th Reunion Committee. Brown, a Williams class secretary and a member of the Executive Committee of the Society of Alumni, has found success as the director of the Commission of Presidential Debates.