Hip Hop Nite spices up weekend

Hip-hop night gave a new flavor to the Williams campus this past Saturday night. I ventured out to Goodrich mainly to free myself from the confines of the mundane, the baseball caps and the khakis – I was hoping for a change of scenery. The crowd was diverse, with Williams and MCLA kids meshed together in one room.

The show opened with Sol Ka Fe, the Williams hip-hop troupe. It was the best performance by Sol Ka Fe I have seen in my two years here. Rory Kramer ’03 excited the crowd with his speed on the floor and Josh Frankel ’02 with his creativity of movement. Marlon Williams ’03 showed off some complex moves, and Sophie de laBarra ’02 displayed some fierce coordination of her dance moves with hard beats. Members of the troupe then merged together in a linear fashion, creating what seemed to be a humorous rendition of a wave trough their interconnected movement. In between Sol Ka Fe, some MCLA break dancers took to the floor, dazzling viewers with their enthusiasm for the techniques of break-dance.

The MC for the night, Breeze Everflowin’, introduced the next performance ? some freestyling by Justin Reliford ’03 and Forrest Wittenmeier ’02. Justin’s rhymes escalated to resonate with the crowd as they got down. His freestyling was sharp, quick, crass in some instances, and overall a lot of fun. Their freestyle together complemented one another.

Next came an MC from Amherst ? actually a second-grade teacher, we were informed. His performance was the low point of the show all around. He explained that his hype band hadn’t shown, and that we had to essentially cut him some slack because “he was doing his best for us.” His pointy goatee and jeans-y garage-rock look did not provoke much reaction from the crowd, as his rhymes were flat and the music bizarrely whimsical. The segment was overall uninteresting and not worthy of an encore.

After that filler came Quite Nyce, an underweight freestyling phenomenon and a student at Fitchburg State. He got the crowd going again. His performance was quick, witty and sarcastic. This was perhaps the first real professional act (comparatively speaking) of the night, although the Williams freestyle duo was also quite good. Both were better than the Amherst teacher.

MC Breeze next announced Street, an excellent group who came with two MCs and a DJ. The DJs were prodigious and did some great mixing for their performers. They were recognized and received well by the crowd, and it was hard to forget them.

The show brought the crowd together, yet there were few Williams students who stayed on for the closing. Although this was disappointing the event still served to spice up campus life, turning us from the drudgery of the day’s work and the monotony of a comparatively homogenous campus.