Men’s, women’s crew place well at 2001 Head of the Charles Regatta

Over the weekend, the men’s and women’s crew teams headed to Boston to participate in the 2001 Head of the Charles Regatta.

The Charles is a treacherous three-mile race with so many twists and turns that many boats crash into the embankments and bridges. These conditions make the Head of the Charles one of the most challenging races in the season and one that lures in the best rowers from around the world.

In the face of such stiff competition, harsh conditions and crowds estimated at over 100,000, the Ephmen fared extremely well.

The men entered boats in the Club 4 and Club 8 events. In the four (Josh Temblador ’04, Matthew Webster ’04, Will Cary ’05, stroke: Mike Paarlberg ’02 and cox: Hayley Horowitz ’04), the Ephmen crossed the line in 18:09, which was good enough for 26th place of 70 boats, beating out crews from Northwestern, Middlebury and UMass-Amherst.

“Although we faced brutal competition and a very challenging course, I was really proud about how the whole boat pulled to gether and refused to yield,” said Temblador.

In the eight (Jason Chapman ’02, Mark Foster ’05, Emil Peirnert ’05, Steve Scroggins ’04, co-captain Noah Coburn ’02, Luke Hyde ’03, Greg Thelkier ’02, stroke: co-captain Dan Werbel-Sanborn ’02 and cox: Jay Halleck ’05), the Ephs completed the course in 15:48 placing 10th overall in a pool of 67 entries and only 30 seconds behind the winner, Harvard.

The women’s crew team also came through with huge finishes in the Club and Championship 4s. With the best finish of the day by the team, the Club 4 (Katie Shattuck ’05, Anne Lewis ’04, Anne Rutherford ’04, stroke: Liz Mygatt ’03 and cox: Emilie Mathieu ’02) crushed almost all competitors, finishing a stellar second out of 58.

The Championship 4 (Rachel DeSouza ’03, Laura Spero ’02, Izzy Lowell ’02, stroke: Shoshana Clark ’02, co-captain, and cox: Carol Lynn Higgins ’02, co-captain) also finished very well, moving from a start berth of 25th to place 8th overall. The race included national team caliber crews from US Rowing, Denmark and Germany, and the Williams finish put them ahead of such powerhouses as Princeton, UVA and U. Wisconsin.

Overall the team came away with impressive finishes which guarantees the Ephs berth in next year’s Regatta. Next week, the crew team travels to Saratoga Springs, N.Y., for the Head of the Fish Regatta, their final race of the fall head race season.

The team’s more competive season will start in the spring as the race course shortens, but the pace picks up.