Women’s golf sets foundation for future

It was an exciting week of golf for the women’s club team and the Ephwomen were more than up to the task. Lisa Stern ’02 posted an impressive two-day total 206 (102-104)this weekend in the NESCAC tournament, and the entire team contributed to a solid, third-place finish earlier in the week at the Wellesley College Invitational.

“We were all happy to realize that we can play as a team with some of these other Division III schools,” said head coach Cathy Pohle. “I think that all the players realized that a stroke or two here or there and we could have been in second place.”

Stern’s performance at the NESCAC tournament, which was held at Taconic Golf Course in Williamstown, was particularly impressive as she managed to post a 104 on Sunday despite playing with a rather severe head cold. Katie Vitello ’05, who shot the tournament’s second lowest round on Saturday with a 92, was forced to withdraw from Sunday’s competition due to a job complication.

Earlier in the week, Vitello finished third at Wellesley with a solid 99. Kristin Engelbrecht-Bleem ’04 was one shot back of her to finish in fourth place overall. Zoe Unger ’02 (114), Suzie Eklund ’04 (116) and Kate Werble ’02 (122) also contributed to the third-place team effort.

“I was especially happy to see the play of Katie Vitello, Kristin EngelbrechtBleem and Suzie Eklund,” said Pohle. “They will be here for a few more years and this gives us a foundation upon which to build our team.”