Men’s, women’s crew open headrace season at Textile Regatta

Despite a somewhat disappointing overall team showings, men’s and women’s crew managed several impressive individual and boat performances at the 2001 Textile River Regatta on Sunday. Given the stiff competition, both teams ultimately came away satisfied with the returns. The team was also still finding its racing legs in their first race.

“In general we thought it was a good first race,” co-captain Daniel Werbel-Sanborn ’02, who rowed with the men’s open eights and men’s open fours, said. “There were a number of schools there who we will be seeing all year – in particular Wesleyan, Trinity, and Coast Guard. It’s one of the longer head-race courses we’ll see all fall, and with all the guys doing at least two races, combined with a vicious headwind for the last half-mile, it was a long day – it was good to see the guys persevere.”

Out of the ten individual and boat events that the Ephs participated in, only three – the women’s club eights, the men’s open fours and the men’s club singles – scored points for the team. On the day, the Ephs mustered a combined total of 145 points.

The women’s club eights registered the strongest showing on the day with their second place finish – good for 66.67 team points. Finishing with a time of 20:46, the Ephwomen fell 20 seconds short of first place Holy Cross’s time.

In the men’s open fours, the Ephs placed two boats within the top ten in the 31-boat draw, with the first team crossing the finish line in fourth place, the other in eighth. The former team’s fourth place finish secured 45 points for the Ephs’ effort.

Finishing in 20:36, the Ephmen (Luke Hyde ’03, Will Cary ’05, Alex Gordon ’04, stroke: co-captain Noah Coburn ’02, cox: Bowie Zunino ’04) fell to squads from the Gunnery School, the University of Rhode Island and Bowdoin.

The Ephs’ final 33.33 points were attributable to the efforts of Emil Peinert ’05. Rowing as the team’s men’s club singles competitor, Peinert finished in 24:18 en route to a third place finish behind rowers from the University of Connecticut and Philips Andover. Peinert fell just 27 seconds shy of second place.

The team will face off next week against their alumni before heading to Boston for the annual Head of the Charles regatta.