Golf wins NESCAC tourney by 18 strokes over Lord Jeffs

Men’s golf added another piece of hardware to the trophy case this past weekend, beating out second place Amherst by a convincing 18-stroke margin to win the NESCAC Championship.

On day one, it was the Ross Koller ’04 show. The NESCAC Rookie of the Year and first team all-NESCAC selection shot a 71 to lead the field, with Will Sicks ’03 tied for a close second with Jude Volek of Amherst at 73. The Ephs finished Saturday with a 10-stroke lead over Amherst and were looking to close things out on Sunday.

And they didn’t disappoint, adding eight strokes to their lead over the Lord Jeffs in the process, and finishing with a team total of 605 for the weekend. Sicks led the way shooting another 73, and J.T. Ervin ’02 and Max Montgelas ’03 each chipped in 77’s. Sicks, who won his third straight tournament, was named NESCAC Player of the Year and first team all-NESCAC for his efforts.

“Overall, I am pleased with the way I played,” said Sicks. “I gave a few shots back on the back nine of the second day, but managed to stay away from any big numbers which really helped my score.”

Ervin, whom head coach Rick Pohle called “the most pleasant surprise on the roster this fall,” joined Koller and Sicks on the first team all-NESCAC squad, and Ned Wydysh ’04, who put forth a strong supporting effort, earned himself a spot on the second team.

Montgelas’s 77 on Sunday was an excellent rebound from the 86 he shot on Saturday, which was due to his disastrous back nine score of 47. Pohle was especially proud of Montgelas for his return to form, stating, “Max is too good of a player to have that happen to him. I’m proud of the way he rebounded and posted a score to assist our team.”

This NESCAC title can be added to the list of great fall performances for the Ephs, which includes a tie for the Duke Nelson title at Middlebury, a single shot loss in the Skidmore Invitational, and a Williams Invitational title.

“[And] the best part of it all is that everybody is contributing and is serious about improving as a team,” said Pohle. The team hopes to continue its improvement at the Eph Classic on Oct. 13 and 14, before the big test – the New England Championships in Cape Cod later on in the month.