Field hockey falls to Trinity Bantams

For the second straight week, field hockey took a NESCAC opponent into double overtime. But unlike last week, when they pulled out a 2-1 victory over Wesleyan, Saturday’s game at Trinity did not have a happy ending.

Trinity’s Beatrice Gratry scored her second goal of the game four minutes into the second overtime as the Bantams (4-4, 1-2 in the NESCAC) defeated the Ephs (3-3, 1-2 in the NESCAC) by a score of 2-1. It was a tough ending to a mostly Williams-dominated game.

Stef Noering ’03 opened the scoring in the 32nd minute off of a pretty feed from Molly Jennings ’04. Despite controlling the ball for most of the match, it was the only time the Ephs would find the back of the net.

“We dominated the game, but were unable to capitalize in the circle,” said head coach Alix Rorke. “We had 25 offensive corners to Trinity’s eight. There is really no excuse for not finishing on offense. We just have to keep plugging away and hope that our shots start to fall.”

Trinity knotted the score early in the second when Susan Hoppock fed Gratry in front of the goal. After that, goalies Monelle Quevillon ’03 of Williams (five saves) and Trinity’s Jessica Martin (nine saves) shut down every scoring chance until Gratry won in the second overtime.

The loss this past Saturday came after Williams crushed Union 5-0 on Thursday. The Ephs scored twice in the first ten minutes and never looked back.

“I felt like everything came together,” said an excited Rorke afterwards. “The passing was outstanding and so was the communication.”

Noering assisted on a goal by Tori Scott ’04 to open the game, and then, five minutes later, Scott fed Leanne McNamara ’03 to put the Ephs up 2-0.

Jennings beat Union goalie Jess Wells on a penalty shot at the 16:55 mark and then scored her second goal of the game with two minutes left in the half. Noering scored on a shot sandwiched between Jennings’ two goals to round out the scoring.

Noering, Scott and Jennings now all lead the Ephs in goals with three apiece. Quevillon dropped her goals against average to one goal per game.

The Ephs now enter the heart of the NESCAC schedule, with upcoming games against Bates, Colby, Middlebury and Amherst. Despite their 3-3 record, the Ephs are playing better of late, and a strong push towards the playoffs is not out of the question.