Women harriers win Purple Valley Classic

Saturday afternoon’s Purple Valley Classic brought sunny skies and another success story to women’s cross-country. Running a recently altered course for the first time, the Ephwomen seemed to have no problem getting comfortable with the changes.

The Lady Ephs outran the other nine teams in attendance to claim the Purple Valley Classic team title. Finishing behind Williams was Hamilton , followed by St. Lawrence in third.

The day proved to be one of great triumphs for the Ephs as all five scoring women finished within the top 10. Additionally, all members of the top seven posted remarkable times well under 21:00. Williams was again led by co-captain Julia Bensen ’03, who finished second with a time of 19:04 to Hamilton’s Maggie Hanson and her time of 18:35.

Following closely behind Bensen, for the second weekend in a row, was first-year stand-out Jenn Campbell ’05, who finished third with her time of 19:16. Co-captain Katie Sharff ’02 was the next Williams finisher, placing sixth with an impressive time of 20:10. Rounding out the top seven for the Williams team was a solid pack of four women who were able to clinch ninth through 12th place.

Leading the pack of four was Katie Davisson ’05, who finished ninth with 20:28. Directly behind Davisson was Ann Schorling ’03 whose time of 20:29 landed her the final spot in the top 10. Claiming 11th place for the Lady Ephs was Eve Besant ’04 with her time of 20:35, and following closely was Paige McClanahan ’04 who finished 12th with a time of 20:42.

Following not far behind the top seven was the women’s second seven led by co-captain Terri O’Brien ’02, who finished 16th in 20:59. The next three women finished consecutively in 21st, 22nd and 23rd: Kali Moody ’05 finished in 21:27, Heather Lindenman ’04 posted a 21:32 and Katie Marsh ’05 came in at 21:34.

Next for the Lady Ephs was Laura Bothwell ’02 who took 27th place with her solid time of 21:54. Marsha Habib ’05 was the next Williams finisher, taking 32nd place in 22:11. Completing the second seven for Williams was Erin Kempster ’04 who took 34th place in 22:18. Other Williams competitors included Alicia Andrews ’03, Jenn Cahill ’02, Carolyn Dekker ’05, Zinnia Wilson ’05, Danner Hickman ’05, Sarah Iams ’04, Janine Kagle ’05, Bethany Smith ’05 and Miranda Whitmore ’02.

“I am really excited about the meet and the team,” said assistant coach Tara Crowley ’00. “Everyone worked really well together during the race and helped each other to be successful on the course.”

“All the women ran really well despite a very tough week of training — which gets me even more excited for the awesome potential of our team,” said Bensen.

After another successful weekend the Williams women will switch their gears back to training mode as they prepare for Saturday’s competition at Tuft’s University. The Williams women are eagerly anticipating the meet, as it will give them a chance to see how they measure up against other NESCAC competitors.