Men’s golf completes ‘Tiger Slam’ with win

It wasn’t Tiger at Augusta, but, by winning the Williams Invitational, men’s golf is now the standing champion at its four major tournaments: the NESCAC tournament, the District One Shootout, the Little Three tournament and the Williams Invitational.

Will Sicks ’03 led the team to an impressive finish this weekend. His record-breaking 137 (68-69) earned him the individual title and helped the Ephs capture the team title in a very competitive field.

The performance comes after a fine showing at the Skidmore Fall Invitational on Wednesday, where Sicks claimed medalist honors with a three under par 69 and the team finished second by a stroke to Skidmore with a 310.

Less than a week after shooting a team record 295 at Skidmore, the Ephs continued their exceptional play by breaking that record twice more in the rounds on Saturday and Sunday with a 293 and finally a 290. “I can see each player trying to contribute to the eventual success of the team. They know that one player can not win these tournaments by himself and they are trying to do their part each and every round,” noted head coach Rick Pohle.

In addition to Sicks, Ross Koller ’04 shot a 149 (73-76), Max Montgelas ’03 posted 150 (77-73), Ned Wydesh ’04 and J.T. Ervin ’02 came in at 153 (74-79 and 80-73, respectively). All in all, the team shot an Eph-record 583 as they beat the 16-team field by nine strokes.

A Williams ‘B’ team consisting of Kurt Brumme ’05, Topher Goggin ’02, Bryan Harmon ’04, John Harris ’05 and Phil Bartow ’02 shot a 631.

“I see the team spending much more time preparing themselves as individuals for the betterment of the team,” said Pohle. “We are very deep in talent and each player is trying to improve his standing on the team, which is providing positive competition and growth.”

At the Skidmore Fall Invitational, Montgelas shot a 78 (11th, tied), Koller a 79 (15th, tied), Harmon an 84 and Harris an 88, along with Sicks’ 69.

“I’m extremely happy for Will and pleased with our team’s performance today,” said Pohle. “We had several players missing from the line-up due to class conflicts and had to call upon some players that were facing their first collegiate competition.”

Looking toward the remainder of the season, Pohle sees the team working to improve on its course management skills and staying composed when things seem to unravel during an event or round, “golf is a game of mental and physical preparation and we have to be ready to play every time we go to the course.”

Next week, the Ephmen are in action at the ECAC Regional Qualifier in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.