Men’s golf takes second at Duke Nelson Invitational

The Williams mens golf team put on a great show last weekend, taking second in the Duke Nelson Invitational at Middlebury this past weekend. The Ephs finished play deadlocked with Skidmore for first place, led by great performances from Will Sicks ’03, Ned Wydysh ’04 and J.T. Ervin ’02. However, Skidmore’s fifth man had a lower score than the number-five man for the Ephs, so they were awarded the tie-breaker and first place.

Williams had a good first day, finishing with a team score of 315. Wydysh led the charge with a 77, and Sicks and Max Montgelas ’03 each stroked a 79.

But it was day two that gave the Ephs their second place finish. An amazing team score of 295 was the lowest team score in recent memory for the Ephs, and it brought them from sixth place after day one into the first place tie.

Wydysh and Sicks each shot 71’s, while Ervin chipped in a 75 for the cause. Montgelas stated, “Their scores were especially impressive because Middlebury has a very tricky course.” With a 295 on day two, Williams leapfrogged both Middlebury and Amherst, who were in first and second place respectively after the first day.

The team is very optimistic after this impressive showing as it looks forward to a great season. “It was a really strong start to the season and the solid play across classes is a good sign for the rest of the season,” said Sicks. “We need to keep focused and continue to push ourselves to improve on this performance.”

They hope to carry Sunday’s momentum into the Skidmore Fall Invitational on Wednesday.