Ephs start season off with three disappointing losses

Bowdoin (3-0) won its first NESCAC game of the season, defeating Williams (0-3) on Saturday by a score of 2-1. For Williams, it was the second consecutive loss of the season.

The game started off with lots of action in front of Bowdoin’s goalie, Colleen McDonald. The Ephs took the lead at 24:59 of the first half, when Leanne McNamara ’03 scored off an assist from Tori Scott ’04.

It was not until the 21:28 mark of the second halftime that the Polar Bears’ rookie Marissa O’Neil evened the score.

O’Neil, assisted by Leah McClure, gave Bowdoin the go-ahead goal just five minutes later, at 16:46.

The Ephs fought back hard during the second-half. But, as much as they tried, the ball just couldn’t find the goal.

The girls had anticipated the game to be hard after beating Bowdoin in the regular season and then losing to them in the NESCAC playoffs. Prepared to meet a serious rival, the Ephs put all of their physical and mental power into the game. McDonald made 12 saves, while Monelle Quevillon ’03 saved one for Williams.

After the Ephs’ first game of the season against Clark, Alix Rorke, head coach of field hockey, pointed out that the team had both the stick skills and the ability to win, but could not finish off their attacks.

The game with Bowdoin was proof of this evaluation. “We had 17 corners and just couldn’t get the ball in the net, ” said Tori Scott, who assisted McNamara’s goal for the Ephs.

“It didn’t really seem fair to us, we totally out-played them. I think the shots were something like 30 to 3.”

“If we want to win our league and go to NCAA’s we can’t loose another game in our league. Teams are too good,” said Scott.

Next Saturday, September 12, the Williams field hockey team is playing Keene State, continuing the series of guest games that started off with Bowdoin. Gametime is 11 a.m.