Women’s soccer crushes Vassar College in opener

If only all of the games could be this easy. Marlene Bonasera ’02 and Lindsay Dwyer ’05 scored two goals apiece and the Eph defense did not allow the overmatched Brewers to fire a single shot on goal en route to a 5-0 pounding of Vassar College on Saturday.

Seventeen minutes into the game, Bonasera beat goalie Sarah Combs unassisted to open the scoring. Bonasera made it 2-0 thirty seconds later as she cashed in on a rebound.

“It was a good first showing,” said head coachLisa Melendy. “The upperclassmen set the tone, and we had some first-years make a good showing.”

One of the first-year players that coach Melendy was referring to was Dwyer, who opened some eyes with her impressive debut.

Dwyer put the Ephs up 3-0 near the end of the first half, scoring on a breakaway, and then scored her second of the game in the second half off of a feed from Claire Samuel ’04.

Late in the game, C.C. Ciafone ’02 went top-shelf to cap the scoring. Emily Driscoll ’05 assisted on the play. The win was the fourth straight for the Ephs against Vassar. Over those four victories, Williams has outscored Vassar 11-0.

It was a solid start for the Ephs, a squad looking to improve on a disappointing 11-7 campaign one year ago. With plenty of experienced players returning, the Ephs figure to rebound nicely.

Leading the way is All-New England striker Stacey Starner ’03, who is 10th on the all-time Williams scoring list with 22 career goals and 52 career points. Samuel, Dwyer, Brittany Esty ’05 and Sarah Krygowski ’05 will join Starner up front. Offensive help from the midfield position should come from Bonasera, Ciafone, Katie Worth ’02, Lydia Crafts ’04 and Lisa Schulman ’03.

The defense should be much improved with all four starters returning. The backbone of the defense will be All-New England star Colleen Doody ’03. Maggie Lee ’04, Trish Barbosa ’02 and Kristen Van Woert ’04 round out the starting lineup.

The goalkeeper position is a question mark, with Abi Jackson ’03, Melissa Purdy ’02 and Lindsay Starner ’03 all fighting for playing time. Jackson, who led the NESCAC last year in goals against average, will start the season as the starter, but injuries could open the door for Purdy or Starner.