Golf wins first Shultz Cup

It took nearly 14 years, but the men’s varsity golf team has laid claim to the title for the first time in the history of the Shultz Cup matches.

Named in honor of the former Secretary of State George Shultz (a member and supporter of Taconic Golf Club), the matches were designed to pit the members of the golf team against the best players at the Club. Although several format changes have taken place over the years, the results have always been the same – Taconic’s crafty members would win out over the youthful talent. “I’d hate to say that it was a just matter of time, but two years ago we lost by a total of two points, and, last year, we actually tied, but, since they owned the cup it was their title to keep,” said Rick Pohle, head golf coach.

The purpose behind the matches is to create a competitive atmosphere similar to the Ryder Cup, provide a mutual bonding of the two factions and assist the progress of our player’s learning experience of the Taconic Golf Club. “Our members have a lot of local knowledge about this golf course and I would hope my players share in that,” said Pohle. “As for our record in this event, I think the members have always taken this event a little more seriously than our players. I don’t think that will be the case anymore.”

Courtesy of Sports Information