Field hockey loses heartbreaker 1-0

Second year head coach Alix Rorke has a very capable assistant coach this year. Chris Mason, who served as head coach for 18 years before going on sabbatical last year, is back as Rorke’s assistant. Mason compiled a record of 210-56-9 en route to winning 13 of 14 Little Three titles during his tenure and took his teams to four NCAA tournaments

The real story this year, however, is the return of much of the 2000 roster that finished last year eighth in the nation. This talented roster will be complemented by an excellent crop of first years.

And most importantly, there is no question about who is the starting goalie: Monelle Quevillon ’03. Last season, Rorke came to Williams with no goalie on the roster. Quevillon, the Ephs’ ice hockey goalie, made the move over to the turf and performed fantastically. She posted a 15-4 record, including 10 shutouts. Remarkably, Quevillon did not sit out once all season long, playing 1,380.5 minutes.

Stef Noering ’02 led the Ephs last season with 12 goals and 29 points ? pacing the NESCAC. Noering was named second team all-New England West. Tori Scott ’04 had an impressive debut as she scored 10 times and assisted four others.

“Stef and Tori are tremendous in front of the net,” said Rorke. “Tori has incredible vision and knows exactly when and where to make the pass, not to mention her penalty corner shot is like a cannon. Stef can do it all. She carries the ball down the right wing feeds the ball in or carries to take the shot.”

The 2001 season, however, has not gotten off to the start that might have been hoped for. The Ephs lost a devastating 1-0 game to Clark University, despite dominating the pace of play. The Ephs managed 35 shots on goal while Clark could find only three. One of those shots, however, found the net in the 20th minute of the second half.

Rorke recognizes that this will not be an easy campaign for the Ephs: “[The] NESCAC will be extremely competitive again this year. We will have to improve in every area to finish in the top four. With this group I have no doubt that they will give everything they have all season long. I am expecting an exciting season.”

Williams will play itsnext game at Bowdoin on Saturday at 11 a.m.