Racial bias letter gets to the point

When race is introduced into our experiences and lives, situations change, behavior adjusts, people get uncomfortable—not only with each other, but with themselves. I, along with the organizers and supporters of “Introduce Race,” would like to express our sincere gratitude to Nishant Nayyar ’02 for demonstrating this point in his passionate response to thearticle two weeks ago.

In response to my friend’s more personal remarks, the scenario that he scrutinized so enthusiastically was not a response to any specific event. Rather, it was based on the history of relationships between CC and student organizations that “happen” to consist of minority students, including a recent CC meeting where I was present.

It was not an attack; it was merely the illumination of the potential perception that the actions of FinCom and CC could appear racially biased to certain onlookers.

As I wrote in the original article, all of the “hypothetical” situations described in the piece were based on true experiences of students on this campus, and their purpose was to outline ways in which the concept of race can introduce numerous issues and inquiries worthy of our consideration. Introducing race as a lens through which to view the funding practices of FinCom and CC has done just that.