Ephs down Hamilton 24-10, prepare for Little Three foes

Williams Football put together its second straight strong showing, dominating a weak Hamilton team 24-10. The team’s record stands at 4-2 heading into its final two games against Little Three rivals Wesleyan and Amherst.

Michael Hackett ’04 played another strong game, running for 110 yards on 22 carries and scoring two touchdowns. Hackett, who has been doing the running in place of injured Fred Storz ’01, has been a major part of the Eph victories the last two weeks, running for over 250 yards in the two games.

Wide receiver Matt Student ’01 had a tremendous effort against the Continentals. Student had 10 catches for 136 yards and a touchdown.

Joe Reardon ’04 also turned in an impressive performance, completing 67 percent of his passes, one touchdown and one interception.

Williams out-produced Hamilton 314 to 259 in total offense despite being destroyed in time of possession. Williams had the ball for only 24:40 compared to Hamilton’s 35:20. Williams was quick, efficient and deadly on Saturday, and their defense answered the challenge of being on the field for so long.

Hamilton jumped off to an early 3-0 lead in the first quarter , driving 73 yards on 19 plays.

With the crowd behind them and the offense looking strong, it appeared the Ephs might be in for a long day. Williams buckled down in the red zone, however, and kept the Continentals to a mere field goal.

Hackett answered back in the second quarter with his first touchdown of the day. Hackett took the ball up the right sideline and then cut across the field to take the ball into the endzone.

Hamilton regained the lead shortly thereafter when defensive tackle Ron Thomas stripped Hackett of the ball and Dave Spezzano ran the ball into the endzone. The TD gave Hamilton a 10-7 advantage, which they held on to heading into the half.

Williams erupted out of the locker room to start the second half. Less than five minutes into the second half, Hackett scored his second touchdown of the game – the eventual game-winner.

Williams tacked on a field goal later in the quarter. The game clincher came in the fourth quarter when the Ephs took over on downs at the Hamilton 34-yard line. Reardon lofted a perfect pass into the hands of Student to put Hamilton away 24-10.

Leading the defense was Devareaux Brown ’01who recorded nine tackles and one interception. The secondary also played well with Johnny Kelly ’03 and Dan DiCenzo ’01 each recording seven tackles.

Though it appears to be almost impossible for the Ephs to capture the NESCAC title, their final two games will be against bitter Little Three foes Wesleyan and Amherst.

The win against Hamilton assured Farley of his 14th consecutive non-losing season. Hackett was also named NESCACs co-Rookie of the Week for his performance in the game.

Wesleyan will be the Ephs’ opponent next week for Homecoming. The Cardinals are coming off of a 33-7 thrashing of Bowdoin.