Controversial off-campus bonfire canceled at A&M

Keep The Fire Burning (KTFB) announced Friday that it will not build an off-campus bonfire at Texas A&M University this year. Due to time constraints and insurance problems, the group decided not to follow through with its Nov. 22 bonfire plans.

KTFB could have proceeded with cut this weekend and finished in time for the planned burning of the stack, but that would have left “a lot of room for error,” said KTFB board member Will Clark.

Ray M. Bowen, president of Texas A&M, imposed a two-year moratorium on Aggie Bonfire in May after the Special Commission on the 1999 Aggie Bonfire released its report on the Bonfire collapse. Originally formed to oppose the abolition of Bonfire, KTFB announced in August plans for a student-built, off-campus bonfire.

KTFB cited the safety of its smaller-scaled design and promised strict enforcement of anti-alcohol and safety regulations at cut and stack sites. It continued its plans until the group was faced with insurance problems earlier this month, causing it to cancel plans for first cut.

KTFB board members declined to accept a policy that was offered to the group last week. Group members reasoned that plans for the off-campus bonfire would, at this point, be “rushed.”

The group’s decision not to proceed was in part due to not having enough time to complete a safe project, Clark said.