Women’s Pride Week

In 1970, Williams became co-ed. In the past 30 years, the school, as well as the world, has come a long way in regards to its acceptance of women. But what roles do women play at the college and in the world? What changes still need to take place? Has an acceptable end been reached? The Williams Feminist Alliance (WFA) is sponsoring Women’s Pride Week this week to celebrate women, question their role in society, examine the our nation and the world’s view of women, and to generally get people on campus talking about issues involving women.

Every day this week, members of WFA will be tabling in Baxter where you can stop by between 11:15 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. to get more information about the week’s activities. They will be handing out buttons with various fun and thought-provoking slogans and, since October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, there will also be breast self-exam information. While there, you can include the names of people you know who have been affected by breast cancer on a campus-wide list. The WFA also plans on posting thought-provoking images and quotations around campus to which they hope you will write responses on.

In addition to those ongoing activities, there are three specific events planned. On Monday night, the Gaudino Forum was about women in politics. Discussion was lead by political science professors Monique Deveaux and Cathy Johnson. Wednesday night at 8 p.m. there will be a discussion in Hardy House Living Room co-sponsored by SoMH (Students of Mixed Heritage) and WFA.

The discussion will center on the question of how race affects beauty and body image for women. Even if you don’t think you have anything to say about race and beauty, the discussion should be interesting and informative. Plus, there will be delicious refreshments served. The final Women’s Pride Week event, other than all of the women’s sporting events on Saturday, is a screening of the film The Associate, starring Whoppi Goldberg. The film will be shown at 8 p.m. in Hardy House Living Room. There will be popcorn and other snacks.

Do not let the week pass you by without participating in some Women’s Pride Week activities. There are so many women to be proud of—selves, mothers, sisters, friends, girlfriends, cousins, writers, activists, politicians, athletes—I think we should have Women’s Pride Millennium, but that’d be a long time to table in Baxter, so a week will have to suffice. Make the best of it and be involved.