Women’s rugby downs SConn with lethal moves

The skies opened up and the sun beamed down this past Saturday, as the White Dawgs battled Southern Connecticut in league play. Much to the dismay of the SConn sallies, the WWRFC demolished them 54-0 in 2 halves of solid play.

The first try of the game was scored after the line closed in on the try zone and flanker Virginia Despard ’02 lunged over the large-and-in-charge opposing team and touched the ball down.

After chants of “Scrummie try, Scrummie try” filled the purple valley, the White Dawgs charged down field again after great running by Lynn Lim ’01 and Audrey Herzig ’03.

Erin Dempsey ’01 flew through the air to grab the ball off the lineout and distributed it to the speedy lineys who dished the ball off to Natalie Marchant ’01 as she streaked around everyone on the outside for the second score of the game.

Only a few minutes later, great running by scrummies Tamika Murray ’03 and Despard allowed Herzig to burst past the flat-footed SConn team for a beautiful try.

The WW continued to pound SConn back with excellent driving by scrummies Katherine Belecki ’01 and Lizzie Jacobs ’01, and continuous looping by the lineys.

An awesome run by Healy Thompson ’03, who dragged the wimpy opposing players down the field, set up the second try of the day for Despard.

Again, the sidelines erupted in support of the toughness of Despard. A conversion by an unknown player put the damage at 22-0. Once again, the WW was not stopping anytime soon. Marchant charged down the field a few minutes later and put the White Dawgs up 27-0.

Right before half, Kate Figge ’01, Katie Gortz ’03 and Despard tackled SConn players left and right and set up a 5m scrumdown. Quick hands by the line allowed Maria Drinane ’02 to scoot into the try zone to push the tally to 32-0 at the half.

After regrouping at the half, the White Dawgs retook the field with continued determination and heart. Tough girls, Lauren Flinn ’03, Beth Friedman ’01, Drinane, Lim and Herzig displayed great speed and agility.

Despard continued to run up and over anyone in her way. Mrs. Despard commented, “She normally doesn’t run like that, does she?”

The score was upped to 37-0 when prop, Flinn dove in for her first scrummie try. The line continued to weave their way around the SConn line as Victoria Goldman ’01 and Drinane led the charge downfield and set up Kaitlin Rahl ’02 for her first try of the match.

Newly appointed kicker Gortz connected for her first conversion as her teammates cheered her on, to make the score 44-0.

But the pain did not stop there for the SConn team. Drinane ran the ball in for a try with the help of Herzig, and Gortz followed with a well-placed conversion. Friedman, Goldman, Susie Eklund ‘04 and Lim forged the ball downfield and a penalty kick was awarded.

Gortz connected the penalty kick to bring her tally to 3 amazing kicks for the day. The final damage read 54-0 and SConn drove back home dejected and bloodied.

The White Dawgs circled up at the end of the afternoon with an undefeated record in league play.

The team faces Boston University at home this weekend and is looking forward to making them the next victims of their athletic prowess. Go White Dawgs!