Globalization to be debated Thursday

At a time of unprecedented world prosperity, globalization creates both winners and losers. Open markets have had a positive effect in some parts of the world but some argue that poor countries or poor people in rich countries do not benefit.

The impact of globalization on economies and culture will be debated at Williams College on Thursday, Oct. 12.

In the College’s annual James Mabie Debate, international economist Gary Hufbauer and Lori M. Wallach, director of Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch, will face off on the question, “The Balance Sheet on Globalization: Good or Bad?” The debate will be held in Chapin Hall at 8 p.m.

Hufbauer is the Reginald Jones Senior Fellow at the Institute for International Economics, a position he also held from 1992 to 1997. Before joining the Institute for International Economics, he was the Marcus Wallenberg Professor of International Financial Diplomacy at Georgetown University. In 1997-98, he served as the chair and director of studies at the Council on Foreign Affairs. Earlier he served as deputy assistant secretary in the Treasury Department.

Hufbauer has written and edited a number of books, including the recent North American Economic Integration: 25 Years Backward and Forward. He has been co-editor of several books, including, Reviving the European Union.

He received a B.A. from Harvard University and a Ph.D. in economics from King’s College at Cambridge University. He also holds a J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center.

Wallach, a trade lawyer, has often represented the interests of Global Trade Watch (a part of the nonprofit group Public Citizen founded in 1971 by Ralph Nader) before Congress and with the media. She is also a founding member of the Citizens Trade Campaign of the international Forum on Globalization.

Wallach and her staff were responsible for coordinating the activities of non-governmental organizations at the World Trade Organization (WTO) meeting in Seattle in 1999, bringing many protestors to town to provide a voice apart from that of the WTO on the effects of globalization.

She is the author of Whose Trade Organization? Corporate Globalization and the Erosion of Democracy, and is a commentator for CNN, ABC, All Things Considered, and The News Hour with Jim Lehrer.

She earned her undergraduate degree at Wellesley College and her J.D. at Harvard Law School.

William K. Jaeger, associate professor of economics at Williams, will moderate the debate. Jaeger’s research interests include environmental policy and taxation, climate change, and the integration of economic and ecological models of systems. He received his B.A. from Washington State University in 1976 and his Ph.D. from Stanford University in 1985.

The debate is sponsored by the James W. Mabie ’57 Fund for Economic Policy, which was established in 1993 to bring high-level debate on issues of economic policy to Williams each year.