Field hockey continues its dominance

The Williams Field Hockey team, already soaring up the standings, recorded three exciting wins last week against RPI, Bates, and Colby. With these three victories, the team hopes to propel itself into the Top 10 nationally.

The week began with the #13 Ephs taking on RPI – ranked #17. The Ephs took the advantage early when Molly Jennings netted an unassisted goal seven minutes into the game.

Goalie Monelle Quevillon ’03 preserved the lead heading into the half. Inspired by the play of Quevillon, the Williams offense exploded in the second half. Tori Scott ’04 exploded for three consecutive goals and Ali Stepp added another.

“Monelle was awesome today,” said first-year head coach Alix Hyde. “She was tested a bunch of times, certainly more than I would have liked, but she was up to it.”

Five goals were more than enough for Quevillon, who recorded her sixth shutout in seven games. She has allowed merely one goal all season long. The win propelled the team to a 7-0 record.

“RPI was fast and good, but once we established control we just played exceptionally well,” said Hyde. “We were just brilliant in the second half.”

After a few days off the team traveled up to Maine to take on the Bates Bobcats. Jennings again started off the scoring by driving home a shot off of a penalty corner. Quevillon, whose great play has garnered nearly impossible expectations, allowed a goal with seven minutes left in the game.

After a scoreless first overtime period, Bates nearly ended the game when a Williams penalty gave the Bobcats a penalty stroke. Quevillon rose to the occasion, however, and made a remarkable save to preserve the 1-1 game.

With 10 minutes remaining in the second overtime, Stefanie Noering broke away from the pack and scored the winning goal.

The following day, the Ephs drove over to Colby College as they tried to improve to 9-0. Quevillon was merely mortal in this game as Colby scored first 30 minutes into the first half. Williams answered the score to tie the game up 1-1, but Colby quickly added another goal to take a 2-1 lead into the half.

The Ephwomen dug deep and found a way to win, however, as they scored three unanswered goals in the second half. Heather Kallus scored the eventual game-winner to give Williams a 9-0 overall record. In the nine games, Williams has allowed a grand total of four goals while scoring 25 goals of their own.

Noering and Scott are the team’s points leaders with 16 and 15 points respectively, but Quevillon, who never played field hockey before this year, has been the real story as she has been truly dominant all year long.

Despite the team’s 9-0 record overall, it has only played five league games so far and is thus merely percentage points against Bowdoin at 6-1. The team will take on Middlebury this Wednesday at 4:15 p.m. here in the Purple Valley.