Men’s X-C beats Jumbos

Last Saturday afternoon, the men’s cross country team had a tremendous showing against its first New England competition this year. A sunny, dry day made the course relatively fast, yet the hilly terrain made for a challenging run.

The men’s main competition came from higher-ranked Tufts University. According to coach Pete Farwell, “It was our first real test of the season against nationally 8th ranked Tufts, in which we matched up well, with nine of our men ahead of Tufts fifth man. The times were extremely fast for this early in the season.”

Everyone could tell from early on it was a race between Williams and Tufts. After two miles, Dusty Lopez ’01 and Carl Remsen ’03 picked up the pace, leaving the pack behind on the hills. The Ephmen won the competition easily, scoring only 24 points. Second place went to Tufts with 34 points, and third to Amherst College with 92 points.

Winning the race was co-captain Dusty Lopez ’01, in 25:57.5, followed by Carl Remsen ’03 in 25:58.0. Co-captain Tim Campbell ’01 also had a good race, placing fifth in 26:39.6. Andy Golden ’03 ran 26:45.7 and Jay Slowik ’01 ran 26:59.2, earning seventh and ninth place respectively. Chris Garvin ’03 finished tenth and Ben Chafee ’02 in eleventh, rounding out the top seven. Remsen, Garvin, Golden and Slowik all ran faster than they did on this same course at the end of last year, suggesting a promising season for the Ephmen.

Co-captain Lopez was ecstatic about the Eph’s performance: “This race was our first look at Tufts, who have been running fast early in the season. They are ranked ahead of us in New England (2nd), and it was great to show them we could compete with them, even without our team at full strength. It was a race the whole team can be proud of.”

First-year Matt Winkler ’04 had a great race, placing twelfth overall. “Being my first five-mile race I decided to take it out conservatively, but my training has paid off as I was able to pick it up in the end. I truly enjoyed the race.”

Next week the Williams harriers will work on recovery, racing the alums on Saturday and getting ready for Division I New Englands the following Friday. The first-year and JV team will also race Wednesday at Northfield.