Football notches win

The Colby White Mules woke a sleeping giant on opening day, and the Trinity Bantams had the misfortune of being its first victim.

On Williams’ first drive of the game, the Ephs went 57 yards in 6:14, and they never looked back, trouncing the Bantams 23-0. The Williams defense allowed merely 176 yards of total offense, while recording four sacks for 34 yards.

“We had the same guys doing the same things this week,” said head coach Dick Farley.

“They were just doing them a little better. Having [linebacker] Lou Moll and [lineman] Ian Wilkofsky back was certainly helpful.”

The difference this week was an offense that didn’t turn the ball over all game, a dominant running attack that controlled the ball for 37:24, and a reborn Fred Storz ’01. Storz led the attack with 107 yards rushing, while four other rushers added at least 30 yards apiece.

While the Ephs didn’t rely on their air attack, it was effective when called it had to be. A beautiful reception by Matt Student over the middle set up the opening score by reaching the Trinity one-yard line. David Kinsley ’01 ran the ball in for his first and only touchdowns on the day. Quarterback Marshall Creighton ’02 finished 8 of 15 passing for 68 yards.

Later in the quarter, the Bantams recovered a fumbled punt at the Williams 33-yard line. The Williams defense set the tone for the day, however, by stopping them short of the first down and forcing Trinity to attempt a 45-yard field goal. Bantam placekicker Skip Sullivan missed short.

In the second quarter, sophomore Johnny Kelly picked off his second pass of the season when the ball deflected off Trinity receiver Mike Indelicato. Senior fullback Ken Ojukwu then trudged through half the Trinity defense to put the Ephs up 13-0. The defense further demoralized Trinity with a dominating series at the close of the first half. Senior Chris Ripley and junior David Ewart burst through the offensive line to sack Trinity QB Greg Ward. Two plays later Bob Sherwood ’02 ran over the offensive tackle and was in Ward’s face, deflecting a Trinity pass.

Though Trinity was technically in the game at the half, down merely 13 points, Williams had completely controlled the game with a 173-25 yard advantage in total offense.

With the start of the second half came continued dominance. Ojukwu delivered his second touchdown, and after Lex Evriviades ’01 recovered a Trinity fumble, Rob Kaufman ’01 connected on a 43-yard field goal.

Storz did not play much in the second half due to a sore shoulder, but the injury is not expected to be serious. Farley believed he could have finished the game if it had been close.

Collin Vataha ’01, coming off a solid opening day, missed the game with a groin injury. It is unknown how long he will be out for.

The Eph juggernaut that showed up against Trinity looked completely different from the team that lost to Colby the week before. The defensive line looked excellent, keeping pressure on Ward in the pocket all game. As a result, the secondary played much better – keeping all Trinity receivers to under 50-yards receiving after allowing two Colby receivers to reach the century mark.

Equally impressive was the Eph offensive line, which open fewer holes than it did corridors. Ultimately, the game proved that if the defense can keep games close, allowing the offense to rely on its strong running game, the team can be very successful.

“It comes down to turnovers and big plays,” said Farley. “We didn’t have any on offensive or give any up on defense.”

The team will now travel up to Maine to play Bates this weekend. Though the Bobcats are 0-2 on the season, Farley warned that they are a very capable team. The Bobcats are led by sophomore tailback Sean Atkins, who Farley described as “a man among boys.”

Though Bates will certainly pose a challenge for the Ephs, it appears that the team is starting to play up to its potential. “There was some doubting all around [following the team’s opening day loss],” said Farley.

“The Colby game might’ve been a wake-up call. I just hope we don’t need to do that too often.”