Field hockey perfect

Williams College Field Hockey, ranked 19th in the Division III National Coaches Poll at the beginning of the week, added two more wins to their already impressive record with consecutive 2-0 victories against Union and Trinity. The team now stands at 6-0 and is poised to continue its ascent up the Division III rankings.

The team’s week began on the artificial turf of Union where Tori Scott put the team ahead 1-0 with 3:26 remaining in the first half. Her goal was assisted by Sarah Commito and Heather Kallus The story of the first half, however, was the defense that allowed nary a shot on goal. The defense, however, let up in the second half as goalie Monelle Quevillon was forced to make one save. The Ephs managed 11 total shots on net.

The following day, the team would face a strong team from Trinity. Quevillon was once again outstanding – pitching her sixth shutout in merely seven games.

“I don’t know where we would be without Monelle,” said head coach Alix Hyde Rorke. “She’s been terrific.”

Rorke certainly can’t be upset with the team’s play thus far. In her first year at the helm of the club, after an illustrious college career of her own, Rorke has led her team to its position as one of only two undefeated teams left in New England – Lebanon Valley College being the other.

“Coach [Rorke] has been doing a great job,” said sophomore Stef Noering. “She keeps practice competitive which has been great. There’s definitely pressure on us, as we’re undefeated, but I know that we play our best field hockey under pressure.”

Senior Alison Stepp and sophomore Ann Schorling scored two goals for Williams in the game.

Though the team did play sloppily at times, the effort was more than adequate to defeat the Bantoms. Williams managed to take 11 shots on net compared to merely six by Trinity.

The victory against Trinity kept the Ephs atop the NESCAC Field Hockey Standings. The Ephs, 3-0 in league play, are holding off both the Bowdoin Polar Bears and Amherst Lord Jeffs who are both 4-1. Noering leads all Williams scorers with six points, including four goals. Senior Lyssa Catonguay is the team’s assist leader with four.

The team’s star has thus far been Quevillon, who in 420 minutes of play has allowed merely one goal. “Monelle’s been playing great this year,” said Noering. “She’s aggressive and really competitive. She’s never played field hockey before, which makes her play even more impressive. She plays goalie on the ice hockey team, which helps, but her play has been really inspiring to the team.”

The Ephs next game will be Wednesday on the road against RPI, ranked 13 coming into the week.

RPI plays on turf, but Noering is confident the surface will not be a problem: “we’re much improved as a team this year on turf.”