Women’s X-C wins at home

The women’s cross country team is racing into a great season from the looks of their first two meets. Last weekend, At the McGill Invitational in Montreal, Williams women placed third in an extremely close race, only two points behind the winning team. They were led on the 4K course by co-captains Courtney Bennigson and Joey Shapiro, both seniors.

This past Saturday on their home course at Mt. Greylock High School, the women’s team ran away with the first place trophy, beating Geneseo 44 to 52. Williams was led by Bensen ’03 who placed fifth overall in a time of 19:19 for the 5K course. Also finishing in the top ten were Bennigson ‘01 in sixth place and Shapiro ‘01 in tenth. Following close behind and rounding off Williams’ top seven were Sharff ’02, Scheefer ’03, DiPillo ’01 and Wiener ’01. The runners look strong this season after a long summer of training and time improvements from last year’s season are already evident. Bensen ran more than two minutes faster on the home course yesterday than last year, and Shapiro also dropped more than a minute off her time. The team is off to the Tufts Invitational in Boston next weekend, and then they’re back at home for the Alumni Race on October 7.