Volleyball kills Westfield, splits 4 at MIT tourney

Last week the Ephs took their undefeated season into two challenges, surviving only one unscathed. The Ephs defeated Westfield, but came out of the MIT Invitational Tournament with two wins and two losses, running their overall record to 11-2.

“Even though we won against Westfield, it was not our best game, “ co-captain Carolyn Ryan ’01 pointed out.

The intense weekend began on Friday with a match against Western Connecticut. The Colonials did not beat Williams by more than 5 points in any game, but took the match 15-11, 15-10, 12-15, and 15-10.

The Ephs disappointed themselves, losing a very winnable contest. The next game, against the White Mules of Colby, proved to be a test of character. How the would the team would rebound from their first loss for the year.

The Ephs dug themselves a hole, dropping the first game without even putting up a fight, 15-0. They managed to turn the match around, rebounding from a 2-0 deficit to win the match. After the two opening matches, Williams had the chance to rank second in pool B, but the loss to WCSU cost them the tiebreak and left them with no chance of winning the tournament.

On Saturday, Trinity defeated Williams with little difficulty. The Bantams swept the Ephs 3-0, qualifying for the final before losing to the host of the tournament, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

The second Williams game on Saturday was a success for the Ephs, as they easily defeated Smith 3-0. Neither Colby nor Smith, the two teams Williams bested, managed a single victory in the tournament.

In that sense, and compared to last week’s triumphs, the performance of the Ephs at MIT was far below their expectations.

Ryan pointed out that the team will take time to improve their consistency. “We are still getting used to the new coaching style we have this year,” she said, adding later that she remains optimistic about the team’s future performance.

The next opportunity for the team to live up to their potential is the Bates invitational next weekend.