Golf finishes fourth

Led by sophomores Will Sicks and Max Montgelas, the 20th ranked Williams men’s golf team captured fourth place in the 21-team Williams Invitational at Taconic Golf Club. It was a welcome recovery for coach Rick Pohle’s team, which finished a disappointing eighth place in its season opener at Middlebury.

Williams found itself in second place after Saturday’s opening round, recording a team total of 303 in blustery conditions. Montgelas led the way with a 73, followed by Sicks, who fired 74. The Ephs also counted a 77 from Ned Wydysh ’04 and 79 by Dave Mihm ’03.

Senior co-captain John McCoy recovered from a rocky start to card a round of 80.

Sunday’s second round brought colder temperatures and intermittent rains, but did little to hamper scoring. The Ephs responded with another 303 total, as Sicks posted a fine 72 and Montgelas added his second straight 73. Both finished with a two-day total of 146, good for a tie for fourth place and spots on the All-Tournament Team.

Mihm contributed a 78 and McCoy an 80 to complete Williams’ four counting scores.

In spite of the strong second-day performance, the Ephs fell back into fourth place overall for the tournament. First day leader and perennial powerhouse Guilford (North Carolina) cruised to victory with a two-day total of 294-300-594. Second place went to Colgate University, who stormed back from an opening 315 with a fantastic 288 tally on Sunday. Babson College also fired a 300 Sunday to finish with a two-day total of 605, leapfrogging Williams and recording its second head-to-head win against the Ephs this year. Williams did, however, claim a rare four-shot victory over Skidmore College, which is currently the third-ranked team in all of Division III.

The Ephs also picked up key head-to-head wins over Middlebury (614), Salem St. (632) and Amherst (634). The Invitational also gave Williams a chance to showcase why it may be the deepest Division III golf team in the Northeast. Williams’ ‘B’ team finished tied for 11th in the 21 team field with rounds of 329 and 313. Ned May ’03 (77-79 = 156) and Bryan Harmon ’04 (82-80 = 162) both turned in steady performances, and senior co-captain Bob Stanton rebounded from a disappointing 85 Saturday to fire 73 Sunday.

Earlier in the week, Williams finished third at the Skidmore Invitational.

The NESCAC Championships come this weekend in Middlebury, Vermont. The Ephs will also be looking for revenge from 1999, when Middlebury claimed the NESCAC crown by one shot in a rain-shortened tournament.